• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turn screen off, but let CPU, etc., working as if screen was on

Hi,

I would like to turn off my HTC Desire's screen but to let it work as if screen was on (i.e. WiFi, etc.). There are plenty situations where it might be interesting to do this:

• You're downloading huge files, and you want to economize battery a little bit;
  • You're using GPS-tracking programs (such as those you find for monitoring your favourite sport) which evidently need GPS to be turned on, CPU to work fully, but which do not need the screen to be turned on (and you won't look at it, mostly).
I looked everywhere, but I can't find a way to achieve this. I simply want screen to be turned off, but everything to work as if it was turned on (except screen's reactions, evidently).

It should also, if possible, prevent the device from going into sleep mode (except if the battery is very low, evidently). If this is not possible, I'll look for another program to do this, but I'm mainly looking for a program to turn this screen off.

Any idea?

Thanks.

i know at least on my devour that when im streaming music via last.fm and my screen cycles off the music still streams just fine. i imagine it would work the same with downloading large files.
I imagine it too. Okay.

Press the power button once and that turns the screen off and the wifi etc stays on.
Is that what you mean?
Sure? If so, yes, that's what I meant. And where can the timer for the `next step' (i.e. sleep mode) be configured? And what is commonly referred to as `sleep mode'?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones