• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Turn Your Android Phone into a Laptop

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    First of all, I am not compensated in any way for sharing this.

Second of all, I wish I WAS compensated
    :D

So we have all this power in our smartphones: all our apps, data, files, contacts... but it's not easy to actually get WORK done on a 4 to 6" screen. But what if there was a laptop shell that provided a large screen, keyboard and trackpad... but used the power of your Android phone to run?

There is, and it's HERE:
    https://sentio.com/

Superbook will turn your Android phone into a laptop - all the conveniences of a laptop without the laptop price! Watch the videos on the page to learn more. I actually backed this as a crowdfunding project last year: and yes, it is horrendously late getting to market, but not because of anything Sentio did. I put the cause of the delay in the spoiler below. But the first Superbooks are getting shipped right now, with thousands more enroute to the U.S. warehouse.

I happily backed the 1080p version with the backlit keyboard, primarily for the Darling Bride. She has a Galaxy S8 Plus, but that's an awfully small screen for a far-sighted person! But if I need it, all I have to do is connect my phone and BAM! It's like a whole other machine, with MY stuff on it!

If you have fat fingers, vision issues or anything else that makes it hard to work on your phone (or maybe you know someone, a parent or grandparent who does), I strongly suggest you look at Superbook as a solution.

:)

So why the delay? Once Superbook was successfully crowdfunded, by thousands of percents, they quickly ordered and prepaid the chipsets they knew they would need. Then they began fine-tuning the design and firmware development.

Once they were ready for the chips, they contacted their supplier in China. Since this is a licensed chip, there are a limited number of companies licensed to produce them. The supplier said that the Superbook chips, although PRE-PAID, had been sold to another buyer! Sentio demanded immediate replacement - but the supplier said they were having financial problems and there would be delays in production. That brought Superbook to a grinding halt.

So if you read horror stories about Superbook taking so long, just know that it was really out of their control. The chips were finally delivered, the Superbook was assembled and thousands are being shipped right now. As they get to the warehouse, they get the latest firmware flashed before being boxed up and shipped to consumers.

Reactions: dee11
    Hmm that sounds like what I do on my smartphone when I enable the casting feature to my 50" smart TV or any TV that accepts casting features. I can do every thing with my smartphone, from wireless printing, data filing, Financial features etc. You name it I have pretty much done it and all it requires is the right apps. And fortunately I never required a Superbook to get all these things done but it may be good for someone who don't know their way around an Android or iPhone that need a apparatus to accomplish all of these things.

Oh and go luck with your venture I hope you do well with it and by the way nice sale pitch :D

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Cast your Android screen from the Google Home app
    Casting your Android screen lets you mirror your Android device to the TV so you can enjoy your content exactly as you see it on your mobile device—only bigger.

For a video demonstration, check out the YouTube video at the bottom of this article. If you prefer step-by-step instructions, see below.

Step 1. Get started
    • Casting your Android screen is available on devices running Android 4.4.2 or higher. Please note: Some devices have been optimized for screen casting so your experience may vary.
    • Casting your Android screen is not supported on iOS or Windows devices.
    • Turn off "Power Saving Mode" on your Android device. Power Saving Mode can limit the processing power of your device which might affect the performance of the Cast Screen feature.
    • Important: The "Microphone" permission in the Google Play Services app needs to be turned on to successfully use the 'Cast Screen/Audio' feature with Chromecast. If you don't have this permission turned on, the Cast Screen session will immediately disconnect after trying to connect.
      • To turn on microphone permissions:
        1. On your Android device, tap Settings
          LMmhEEjCgE6vST_bHLGe5Fe7MAD1fXY-rXgFjnY-D7B0P-IwMIlIltyMa-EcWToMf3s=w16
        2. Scroll down and tap Apps
          nHFGZ_9xjCh-mP83zMzXQVJF5VYf2n6kwoBIxB2zv3V4VPT4gNTtBye8lYznogLqLPY=w13-h18-rwa
          Google Play Services
          Permissions.
        3. Look for "Microphone" and slide the slider On
          dZHD4vjvoCxtQg3ir5Z7Jp81vCqOIrVk7VfP
    Step 2. Cast your screen from your Android device
    1. Connect your Android device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built-in.
    2. Open the Google Home app
      9MpaXj2oIHIZU4JiCl6Nos9Ac3VRocyuFxWcvgwnb7FRVsPTcLXGUdvWP8W8LqReE40=w18-rwa
    3. In the top left corner of the app's Home screen, tap Menu
      _ddMBKE_D35dN-T1aM98bQ-7eRXzDRzGAwZyc9pFaXzNqDbVkCyinOQ_4QSQZP3kmA=w18-rwa
      Cast Screen / audio
      Cast Screen / audio.
    4. Select your Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built-in.
    Step 3. Adjust the volume when casting your Android screen
    1. Open the Google Home app
    2. In the upper right corner of the home screen, tap Devices
      Al8eH5JoAdGV5TOELoXUXnhTSUeI30mPqgBbmpDs8WyRz0X8TzKNw5ecwbOBA5CH8OQ=w18-rwa
      to see your available Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built-in.
    3. Tap the device card for the Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built-in that is currently casting content.
    4. Move the slider to adjust the volume.
    Step 4. Stop casting your screen from your Android device
    From the Google Home app
    1. Open the Google Home app
    2. In the top left corner of the app's Home screen, tap Menu
      _ddMBKE_D35dN-T1aM98bQ-7eRXzDRzGAwZyc9pFaXzNqDbVkCyinOQ_4QSQZP3kmA=w18-rwa
      Cast Screen / audio
      Disconnect.
    From the notification drawer
    1. Pull down the notification drop down drawer on your Android device.
    2. Tap the "Casting screen" notification
      Disconnect.

Chromecast built-in Help

Upvote 0
    Have they actually shipped any of these yet...

... do any real users have them? do you have yours?

(raised eyebrow emoji)

Several hundred were shipped for beta testing early on, but to answer your question: no. The bulk of the Superbooks are on a container ship, somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. However, I expect them to ship by mid-August.

Reactions: psionandy
    Upvote 0
    Several hundred were shipped for beta testing early on, but to answer your question: no. The bulk of the Superbooks are on a container ship, somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. However, I expect them to ship by mid-August.

We await your hands on experience with baited breath

(Excited geek emoji)

Upvote 0
    We await your hands on experience with baited breath

(Excited geek emoji)

I will let you know how it works just as soon as it gets here!

(Another excited geek emoji)

It's an interesting idea. I would also like to know how you get on with it.

Uh... I'd much prefer to get on with my Darling Bride, as I'm not technosexual…

:D

But yes, I will let you folks know how it goes - apparently Android 8.0+ changed the way multi-window mode is turned on... it's no longer in Developer Options, but I have to enable it with ADB.

Reactions: psionandy
    Upvote 0
    So this thing costs almost as much as a laptop, and it's still vaporware ?

No, it is in production with units being shipped right now

It's basically a cord(ed)-Casting device..??

No, it uses a custom firmware called Andromium OS that converts Android into a laptop experience. Multi-window support, overlay, etc... it's your Android phone, but it looks and functions like a Windows laptop.

Reactions: mikedt
    Upvote 0
    No, it is in production with units being shipped right now

FWIW when I checked the buy options a few times, it was listed as "out of stock", with no expected shipping dates. Which doesn't seem too promising to me.

No, it uses a custom firmware called Andromium OS that converts Android into a laptop experience. Multi-window support, overlay, etc... it's your Android phone, but it looks and functions like a Windows laptop.

Being an Android device it's using, its running what's basically mobile apps though. Things like MS Office Mobile, which must be used online via Microsoft's cloud, and is nowhere near as full featured as the full-blown MS Office for Windows, things like PowerPoint.

Reactions: bcrichster
    Upvote 0
    Not basically mobile apps: they're ALL mobile apps. In fact, everything on the screen is actually on your phone. There is no storage, no drive... just the Andromium OS that converts the cell phone data to a useable screen. This requires enabling multi-window and screen overlay in developer options. And that's about it.

I'm sure they've listed it as "Out of Stock" until they have caught up all pre-orders from backers. Once those machines are out the door, Sentio can open up for new orders.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones