• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turning airplane mode off (android on ipod touch)

Ok, not sure if anyone will be able to help me, but I jailbroke my old ipod touch (1st gen) to run android using the instructions found here...

Good use for my more or less outdated ipod. Theres the obvious problem that android os is for a phone, and the ipod touch is not a phone, but I'm not looking for phone service. Ideally I'd like to be able to just use wifi and mess around with some basic apps and whatnot.

The Problem:
Somehow the airplane mode has been turned on - the signal up top has an airplane over it and the wifi isn't enabled. Going into the wireless controls shows that airplane mode isn't activated (no green check), yet cannot turn on wifi or bluetooth. When I check the airplane mode, it says "disabling wireless connections..." and does nothing else. Leaving the settings and returning shows that airplane mode is still off.

I've searched and havn't been able to find anything. Resetting does nothing to help. Anyone know if it will be impossible to get wifi working simply because its not running on a phone? Is there a way to toggle airplane mode or set up wireless using the terminal emulator? Any other ideas that I can try?

Random info that might help...(since its a hack I can't upgrade it)
Firmware Version: 1.6
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9

Thanks for looking

Well, thats the downfall to having so limited of buttons on the ipod/iphone. Not enough to navigate the way you need. Airplane mode can be turned off/on by holding the power button on Android phones. Unfortunately that isnt working yet for iphodroid.

I had issues on my first attempt at getting android on my iphone 2g. Touch screen didnt work and All i could press was the power button, home button and volume rocker. That did nothing to help. If i had a track pad, i could have navigated lol.

Btw, wifi on my iphone works even while im in airplane mode. Android i havent tried yet...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones