• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Turning Airplane Mode On & Off Solves Ghost Dialing *22899 Problem?

Dankees

Android Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2011
So, my phone had been ghost dialing the *22899 every morning, and draining my battery life like crazy.

So, I disabled JuiceDefender. No luck. I uninstalled JuiceDefender, no luck. It still called *22899 the following day.

So, I factory reset the phone and started all over again.

Anyway, I was cool for 10 days. But then, out of nowhere, the other day, it ghost dialed again. Then, the next day, again. Then the next day (today), again.

So, I called Verizon and the woman told me that this happened to her co-worker. Her co-worker turned on Airplane Mode and turned off Airplane Mode and it never happened to her again.

Is that possible? Will my phone now be fixed?

Personally? I doubt it. Too common an issue in here to be just a bad SIM. But Teir 2 Support did tell me (whether it's true or not is up for dispute, of course) that too much ghost dialing can actually FRY the SIM, since all updates to Nexus supposedly come OTA.

If your phone is calling out every single day, it sounds like there is a serious issue, though.

Reactions: jmar and Dankees
Upvote 0
Well, I had disabled JuiceDefender, that didn’t help.

Then I uninstalled it, and the next day, it dialed it again. I still factory reset the phone, and I reinstalled my applications. I figured, it couldn’t be the JuiceDefender application, because it still called while it had been uninstalled.

So, I was cool for a while, but it suddenly dialed the number again (3 days in a row).

So, this morning, I called Verizon, and the lady told me that her co-worker had the same thing happen in her phone (she doesn’t have JuiceDefender), and she toggled her Airplane Mode, and it never happened to her again.

The woman will call me in the morning to see if it happened tomorrow morning, and if it does, they will send me a new SIM Card.

It’s very odd. My wife, mother, and step-father all have the same phone, with JuiceDefender, and it never happened (so far as they know) to any of them.

I mean, my wife lives with me, and she turns her phone on each morning in the same room. We both drive to work in the same direction, yet, it has never happened to her…?

Upvote 0
I know, Dankees, it's bizarre. But there are a couple of threads (actually, I think I merged them) on this very subject. So you're definitely not the only one with the issue. I really have no idea why some phones do it and others don't.

After 20+ years in electronics, however, I have learned that it is NOT an exact science. Electrons are going to do what they are going to do, sometimes much to our surprise and - on a few occasions - much to our dismay.

If Airplane Mode doesn't do the trick, I will lay money on Verizon sending a new SIM out for you. And if THAT doesn't fix it? Then you & I have very talkative Nexi :rolleyes:

Reactions: Dankees
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones