• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turning anti-virus off to upgrade HTC Sync

john_g

Android Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2010
London, UK
I've just been notified of (and have installed) an update to HTC Sync. During the upgrade process the installer instructed me to turn my anti-virus software off. Surely it is during software installation that anti-virus protection is most needed, so do you think it's acceptable for HTC to ask us to do this? And is it unavoidable? I can't remember any other mobile phone software expecting me to do this.

Surely HTC is big enough now to aspire to be "best of breed" so this kind of cludge leaves me shaking my head. It's not a big issue for me because I rarely use HTC Sync so it doesn't matter too much if it doesn't work correctly but, for others, it might well be very important (and, no, I didn't disable my anti-virus software during the upgrade process).

I've just been notified of (and have installed) an update to HTC Sync. During the upgrade process the installer instructed me to turn my anti-virus software off. Surely it is during software installation that anti-virus protection is most needed, so do you think it's acceptable for HTC to ask us to do this? And is it unavoidable? I can't remember any other mobile phone software expecting me to do this.

Mighty strange... like you say -

Surely HTC is big enough now to aspire to be "best of breed" so this kind of cludge leaves me shaking my head.

If it doesn't bother you, then fair enough, but it is a bit of a pain in the ar5e!

I use Lookout, which you can ask to do a scan on demand... perhaps you disable it, update, re-enable and scan immediately (although it does seem to be a bit of a faff to do it that way).

Out of interest - have you tried to update without turning your antivirus off??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones