• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Turning off 3G on the Moment

R

RickyWilhelm

Hello. I was wondering if there is any possibility of turning off 3G and just using 2G data to save battery. I've searched around and have yet to find anything concrete on how to disable the 3G on my Moment. My phone is rooted and is running Titanium X. Thank you.

From the Sprint Community forums:

Here are the instructions:

1. From the dialer, dial: ##DEBUG# (which is ##33284#).
2. Enter your 6 digit MSL. If you do not know your MSL, just get it from Sprint. It's not some kind of super-secret code that they try to keep under wraps, so don't worry. They will happily provide the number because Sprint has great customer service. They may ask why you need it. I told the representative that I wanted to program my phone.
3. From the HDR/1x Selection screen, select "CDMA Only Mode", then OK.
4. Reboot your phone

beliving tried this in an attempt to eliminate the data lockup when using wifi. Didn't work.

I'd say proceed with caution.

Late Edit: If you're using data in 1x (email, web) calls will go straight to your voicemail.

Upvote 0
You missed the end parentheses ) there between 'web' and 'calls'. ;)

What I mean is that the Moment is designed to send phone calls directly to voicemail if you're using data in 1x instead of EVDO. Data meaning email, web, android marketplace, etc. So if you're downloading an app or checking your email, you're going to miss any phone calls that come in.

Upvote 0
From the Sprint Community forums:

Here are the instructions:

1. From the dialer, dial: ##DEBUG# (which is ##33284#).
2. Enter your 6 digit MSL. If you do not know your MSL, just get it from Sprint. It's not some kind of super-secret code that they try to keep under wraps, so don't worry. They will happily provide the number because Sprint has great customer service. They may ask why you need it. I told the representative that I wanted to program my phone.
3. From the HDR/1x Selection screen, select "CDMA Only Mode", then OK.
4. Reboot your phone

beliving tried this in an attempt to eliminate the data lockup when using wifi. Didn't work.

I'd say proceed with caution.

Late Edit: If you're using data in 1x (email, web) calls will go straight to your voicemail.

You can also get your msl from a shell terminal (like connectbot) without calling sprint by enter the command 'getprop' , exclude the quotations, and look for [ril.MSL]......the number after this prefix is your MSL number.....enjoy :D

Reactions: HeadlessPonch
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones