1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

turning off 3g, wifi only

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by nwilkins259, Sep 1, 2011.

1. nwilkins259

nwilkins259 Lurker

Im going out of the country and my provider (verizon) tells me I wont have 3g, id like to avoid using my phone as a phone to avoid roaming charges, but would like to use the wifi for maps and email etc. Is there an option to do this?

Thank you.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User

Put your phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi

novox77 likes this.
  3. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert

Menu > settings > wireless and network > mobile network > uncheck mobile data/3G data

4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

That doesn't work. Voice calls don't use 3G on CDMA. The 2(.75)G radio is still on. To completely disable voice (and SMS), you need to turn on airplane mode. That shuts off all radios. Then enable wifi. You'll still be in airplane mode, but only the wifi radio stays on.

cds0699 and chrlswltrs like this.
  5. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert

Ooops, strangely I was unaware of that. Thanks for the clarification.

6. ekatow

ekatow Lurker

Using the airplane mode and WiFi on: will I be able to make/receive phone calls?
    (Galaxy S 2, Android 2.3.4). Going to a foreign country and do not want roaming charges.

Thanks.

7. Swizz

Swizz Android Enthusiast

No. Airplane mode would completely disable your ability to make and receive calls.

8. ekatow

ekatow Lurker

Thanks for the answer.

I had a BlackBerry curve and could turn off the phone service, turn on WiFi and still make/receive calls as long as I was connected to a Wifi network.

Can we do that with a Galaxy S 2?

Thanks.

9. Swizz

Swizz Android Enthusiast

Only if you're carrier supports WiFi calling. As far as I know T-Mo US is the only carrier that supports this. If you are T-Mobile, check to see if you have an application installed called "Wi-Fi Calling"; if so, you should be in the clear. Not sure how this would affect potential roaming charges.

10. ekatow

ekatow Lurker

Thanks.

I was with T-Mobile Puerto Rico and WiFi calling worked like a charm, at no cost and without an app. I am with Claro now and I hope they do support Wi Fi calling.