1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Turning off background data/auto-sync.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by EKhatch, Jul 12, 2011.

1. EKhatch

EKhatch Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 18, 2010
    First I am not even sure if this is the right place to post. Second, trying to search for the answer just got me more confused. My question is pretty simple/dumb. Does turning off background data effect how often the phone searches for new SMS/MMS and emails? I have my gmail account set up but I have my MSN account as my main email. I am trying to get better battery life from my Incredible and don't use social apps like Facebook or Twitter.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Android Expert

Mar 30, 2010
    I'm a cableguy....really
    Monterey, CA
    Turning off data will not affect your SMS messages.They dont require internet. MMS will come thorugh, but will not download until you have a data connection.
    Also, emails wont get pushed through until you turn your data back on.

Have you tried JuiceDefender for saving battery life?

3. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    If you don't have social apps then why do you think turning off background data will help? Implement solutions that affect the things that are eating up your battery. I mean, if something impacts 1% of your battery it's far less effective to spend your time dealing with that thing versus the thing eating up 20% of your battery.

Do you have other apps that use a lot of background data? Consider looking through Accounts and Sync and disabling sync of what you don't need.

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    I use the Data toggle on my Evo 4G quite a bit now.

When I leave it on 3G, the email app K-9 Dog mail is set to retrieve every 30 minutes, and a lone Facebook app set to retrieve every hour.

However, when I turn off data, my battery life goes from 8-10 hours to 30+ hours...it's amazing what the effect is. For whatever reason, just leaving 3G connection on seems to drain battery a lot more.

The only way for you to tell is to try it out and see if you can benefit.

5. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Without social apps and gmail killing background data wont hurt, but its better to adjust what is actually killing your battery, and turning off sycs to anything you dont use