1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Turning Off Background Data While Screen is Locked

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ZeroStare, Jan 4, 2014.

1. ZeroStare

ZeroStare Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2014
    Since the last update, my AT&T Galaxy S4's battery life has been awful and I've been trying to use Tasker to help with it. I've noticed that disabling Background Data helped my battery immensely, but would break many of my home screen widgets and would display an annoying icon in the top left of the notification bar.

To try to use background data without these problems I've been trying to set the background data to turn off while my screen is off (using just the Secure Settings background data option = off) and to turn back on while my screen is on (using the same Secure Setting but setting it on).

This always either doesn't work at all or just turns background data off at seemingly random times and turning it back on a few minutes later whenever my screen is on.

Does anyone have any idea how I could fix this or find another way to get the result I want? I'm using GO Lock Screen and Nova Launcher, one or both of which may be breaking my attempted fix, but I'd rather keep them both installed and on.

Advertisement

2. ooberandy

ooberandy Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Hartlepool, UK
    You could always try switching to 2g rather than shutting off mobile data. On ym phone this option isn't available to select, but maybe it is on yours.