1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

turning off display ALWAYS locks phone?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by skydiverMN, Jan 3, 2012.

1. skydiverMN

skydiverMN Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    IT
    I have my phone set to lock itself (require a password) when the display is turned off. That being said, why does the phone require authentication immediately again when I turn off the display, then immediately turn it back on? Isn't there some option where it won't require another password entry for 'x' minutes? I'm an iPhone convert and when I had my 3GS I could unlock my phone (typed in password), turn on/off the display for short periods of time without having to ALWAYS retype the password. Is there some option on the Android that'll allow this?

Here are the details:
    My Atrix is running OS 2.3.4.
    This phone has the biometric display button. Push the button quickly and the display turns on/off. Hold it longer, and you can shut the phone off.

Does anyone know what setting, if it exists, that I'll need to set to allow the phone to lock, but that'll not relock itself for 'x' minutes even if the display is turned off? It would be very convenient for the phone to remain unlocked for 'x' minutes, even with the display off. If 'x' minutes elapses, then relock. Get what I'm looking for?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

:D

Advertisement

2. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    That's pretty much what "locking"is for. Try No Lock for Android | AppBrain.com I have an invisible button on my home screen that I hit "lock" when I feel like locking it, but 90% of the time I just leave it unlocked. Too much a pain to swipe or enter code every time the screen comes on. Or you can buy lockscreen app and set times I believe.

3. Saltine713

Saltine713 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    Podcaster
    NY
    There should be a section in settings for SECURITY. On my HTC Inspire, I can set the lock to immediate, or up to 15 minutes of inactivity with the display off.

4. skydiverMN

skydiverMN Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    IT
    Password Delay Full works, but doesn't understand the biometric swipe that the Atrix has.

This program will lock the phone after 'x' minutes, but now I must use the PIN to unlock my phone. This is different than before and it solves the situation that I asked for, but creates a new problem. I'm not really saving any time here.

I might just have to live with this.
    Thanks for your time!

5. UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 10, 2011
    That's normal. I don't use a password so it isn't an issue for me. You could also download Widget Locker so that you can place apps/widgets on your lockscreen.

6. skydiverMN

skydiverMN Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    IT
    This option is disabled on my Location & Security setup. Any thoughts on this?

7. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    I'm wondering id the Password Delay app disabled this feature so there was no conflict. Try uninstalling this app and see if you can get to these settings.

8. skydiverMN

skydiverMN Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    IT
    Password Delay has been uninstalled, but the option is still disabled. I've restarted more than once and it's still that way. From what I remember, this option has never been available. Not sure why...

If I didn't previously mention, I'm running 2.3.4, by the way.