• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"turning off" Gmail

allencraig

Lurker
Nov 5, 2011
I've used the Gmail app once, and it seems there's no way to log out or shut the app down. #1. I don't want to be reminded of new emails from here to eternity, and #2, if my phone gets stolen, the thief has access to my email account without having to log in! Clearing the cash didn't help, niether did turning off the phone and restarting.

How the heck do I turn off the application and/or log out of Gmail??

Thanks for any help!

To stop GMail from syncing, go to Menu -> Settings -> Accounts -> tap your account, and uncheck all the sync options. Then it won't sync any emails automatically. As for someone else having access to your account if your phone gets lost or stolen, in that case set up a a lock screen. Menu -> Settings -> Location and security -> Set up lock screen.

Upvote 0
Thanks Hrethgir.
My phone is already locked at the home screen, but why risk it? I'd like to continue receiving notices of my messages and calls (as this is a phone after all), just not my emails. It seems hard to believe that I can't choose what I want to sync, it's either all or nothing? Using my phone exactly how I want is the whole idea of "personal" technology.

My other option is to delete the gmail program, then just sign in with the browser when I specifically want to check my emails. Same with Facebook.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones