• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Turning off Text MEssage sound

Magnghi

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
Hello,

My gf has a Samsung Nexus S (4G I believe) with 4.1.1 firmware (Jellybean??)

After looking and looking, I was wondering if it was possible to disable the sound for incoming text messages WITHOUT muting or disabling the sound for incoming calls.

My girlfriend works in an environment where she might receive important calls and would like to hear the ringtone, but would not like to have everyone know shes receiving texts.

I have tried Settings -> Sound -> Volumes, where it has under 1 category "Ringtones & Notifications.". IF this is turned down, both the ringtone and text message sound are muted, but if I change the "Default Notification" , a different option, to silent, it does not affect the text message notification sound. Does anyone else have this problem or is this just a lack of flexibility with the firmware?

Thanks for your help!!!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones