• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Turning off text to speech for incoming call/text

I am still not able to turn off the Text to Speech. I tried the Settings->Accessibility->turn off . I have no such turn off option and the option I get is "Accessibility, Downloaded accessibility application is required to activate". This also is greyed out. So I cant select or unselect this. My phone is Samsung galaxy S. Please let me know how to turn this off.

Upvote 0
I just found the solution for this problem. There is no explicit way of uninstalling this. The only way to uninstall this is to delete the svox folder in sd card. The application when installed doesn't actually install. It copies few files to sd card. I tried this solution and it worked. It is a safe solution. Not to worry.

Upvote 0
I just found the solution for this problem. There is no explicit way of uninstalling this. The only way to uninstall this is to delete the svox folder in sd card. The application when installed doesn't actually install. It copies few files to sd card. I tried this solution and it worked. It is a safe solution. Not to worry.

For anyone else that has this problem, maybe trying this before the need to delete any folders - Settings>voice input and output>text-to-speech settings and untick driving mode. This stops the voice reading out notifications on incoming calls and sms/mms.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S firmware 2.2

Upvote 0
same problem, voice notification of texts while talking on phone...<--annoying. galaxy s 2.2 pico tts engine. downloaded tts files from market after navigation app suggested download. ive tried all of the above. I dont want to delete svox folder because i use voice navigation and i want vibration setting for alerts on call. would buying svox from market cause same issue of voice notification for texts with my desired settings?

thanks in advance for your solution

Upvote 0
Hi Guys i have un unbranded model Australian Galaxy S II on Gingerbread 2.33.
My issue is the opposite. I want to have driving mode enabled on my phone and it works well, however text messages are not read out :thinking:
I have the option ticked but i just get the usual alert when a text comes through. Anyone have any ideas ? The phone has been reset and all options are hi lighted. What am i missing ?
Is my phone faulty already after having it 1 week ?
Cheers,
Shaun.

P.S sorry if ive posted in the wrong forum. Im still learning

Upvote 0
I too was having the problem described, and I tried all of the listed ways to turn off the speaking of my incoming texts. For me the solution turned out to be an application called "Vocalyst" which I had installed for some other features with my new Plantronics bluetooth headset. If you recently became palagued with this feature, and recently bought a new headset, you might want to check whether the headset brought along some baggage for the trip.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have the Galaxy Samsung II, and I downloaded VOICE SMS Message BUT I want it off ... its giving me a number to call into to listen to VM but that number keeps ringing busy. So now I have to dial my personal cell number but in my code and listen to my VM, I use to just hit the VM and could listen can some HELP ME to get this off my phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones