• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turning off the screen has become irritating

Anyone knows what this white balloon is and how to get rid of it?
Everytime I push the button to turn off the screen, it comes up at the bottom for a second or to then goes away, but the screen stays on. Then I have to push the button again to turn the screen off. Often I have to push that button a third time.
That issue came up a while ago and I can't say what circumstances might have triggered it.
Any help on how to make it go away would be awesome!
Thanks!

Attachments

• android_issue__.JPG
    android_issue__.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 102
When you long press the center button, that activates whatever app you have set as the accessibility app.

Most devices have this set to be Google Assistant, but this can be changed by the user.

Settings
Apps
Default apps
Digital assistant app
Default digital assistant app
(make your selection)

If you are using this to turn off the screen, then I recommend Greenify, which can do so (and more) and can be set as the default digital assistant app.

If you dont want to bother with any of this, then I recommend using Wave Up, which will turn off the screen whenever the proximity sensor is covered (adjustable via time).
Wave Up can also turn the screen on with a wave, and/or by taking the device out of its case, or whatever.

These are apps that I have on all of my devices and have used for years.

Upvote 0
When you long press the center button, that activates whatever app you have set as the accessibility app.

Most devices have this set to be Google Assistant, but this can be changed by the user.

Settings
Apps
Default apps
Digital assistant app
Default digital assistant app
(make your selection)

If you are using this to turn off the screen, then I recommend Greenify, which can do so (and more) and can be set as the default digital assistant app.

If you dont want to bother with any of this, then I recommend using Wave Up, which will turn off the screen whenever the proximity sensor is covered (adjustable via time).
Wave Up can also turn the screen on with a wave, and/or by taking the device out of its case, or whatever.

These are apps that I have on all of my devices and have used for years.

I would have never guessed this in a lifetime!
None of the options in "Default assistant app" were selected, so I selected one called "Nothing", and the balloon is gone!
Thanks for the great advice puppykickr!

Upvote 0
I would have never guessed this in a lifetime!
None of the options in "Default assistant app" were selected, so I selected one called "Nothing", and the balloon is gone!
Thanks for the great advice puppykickr!

Glad to help.
Your issue was my issue as well a few years back.

I actually discovered this setting by using the Greenify app, otherwise I might not ever have figured it out.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones