1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Turning on a reportedly stolen smartphone.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by surgens _, Oct 20, 2014.

1. surgens _

surgens _ Lurker

So around two months ago, the screen on my phone broke and I totally messed it up trying to replace the screen. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 running on ATnT. Like a dumbass I didn't have anything backed up, thousands of pictures and a year of my life on it. Because my phone was covered by insurance, I could get a new one. However for some reason when my mother reported it to get a new one she said it was stolen, and so my fear is that if I turn it on even now ATNT will track it or something. So basically my question is can I/how can I turn my phone on without ATNT seeing it's at our address and charging me for the new one. All I want to do is get my pictures and numbers, the phone is out of service and useless. Please help :(

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. pcdebb

pcdebb Android Enthusiast

Plug in USB cord to computer and transfer them.

3. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert

If you cannot remove the SIM (I know some carriers/bands in the US don't use a SIM but I'm not familiar with the details) go somewhere with no reception, turn it on and then put it in flight mode. Then you can turn it on anywhere you like.

Alternatively, just take your phone to some public place e.g. a coffee shop, library etc. and copy the data across there.

4. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

Why can't you call up your service provider and tell them the truth that it is broken and not stolen? That way, you aren't going to be getting into any trouble with insurance fraud etc

5. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

(sigh) Telling the truth... what's this world coming to...

:D

6. sreum

sreum Android Enthusiast

Pull the sim card.
    If AT&T doesn't use sim cards then turn the phone on and instantly turn on flight mode.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews