• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Turning on the screen with the home key on front of phone

With my phone it doesn't seem to be any of the combinations above. I tried it right after the screen locked, and it still only worked half the time. Same results, after recieving a text, and with a program running in the background. It only works when it wants too. I got my bro the same phone and it has the same issues. Has anyone complained to the manufacture yet???

Upvote 0
I believe this is by design, so you don't accidentally turn the phone screen on every time you slide it into your pocket, or the phone shifts around while being in your pocket, etc.

It used to annoy me too, but when you think of it that way, it is probably a good idea.

As others have mentioned, the 4 buttons on the face of the phone will only work if you have recently been doing something, have just received a txt, etc. After a while, they won't make the screen come on. Just press the power button on the top of the phone (briefly) and that will turn on the screen. Same thing in reverse puts the screen back to sleep when you are done.

Upvote 0
I believe this is by design, so you don't accidentally turn the phone screen on every time you slide it into your pocket, or the phone shifts around while being in your pocket, etc.

It used to annoy me too, but when you think of it that way, it is probably a good idea.

As others have mentioned, the 4 buttons on the face of the phone will only work if you have recently been doing something, have just received a txt, etc. After a while, they won't make the screen come on. Just press the power button on the top of the phone (briefly) and that will turn on the screen. Same thing in reverse puts the screen back to sleep when you are done.

that could be true TRS but they shoul let you assign which button would you like as you "wake up" or "open phone".

Upvote 0
In my experince, only the power button unlocks the phone, and the 4 bottom buttons wll too if recently locked. This is likely how all androids handle unlocking probably for convenience. If your screen times out from viewing a webpage too long for example, it figures that the phone is not in your pocket yet so its safe to let you tap any button for unlock. However say 60 seconds pass; its more likely the phone is in your pocket and so its not as safe to have any button unlock.

On a related note, if you're the type that does not even want a lock screen, download the No Lock app. It completely disables the lockscreen, has an attractive 1x1 toggle widget, is really small in size (<100K I think), and just simply works. The only downside (upside for some?) is the volume keys wake the phone too. I'm the type that likes to adjust music volume while locked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones