1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Turning on Wifi Kills my home router

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CCRAY, May 17, 2011.

1. CCRAY

CCRAY Newbie
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    Ok so i am having a wierd issue here. I have comcast cable model internet at home hooked up to a linksys wireless router. When i go to use the wireless option on my phone I use an app called quick settings to turn off my 3G signal and turn on my wifi. The issue is that once I am on wifi if anything happens so my 3G signal is up at the same time as the wifi signal it kills the internet connection on my router. I cant even access the internet on my PC. I checked the status on the router and it is still pulling and IP address from Comcast, but the only way i can get the internet back up is to reset both the comcast modem and the wireless router and let them sync up agian...... Any suggestion on why my phone is killing the internet connection??? I am lost and it is annoying as it seems to always drop connection and need to be reset.

Advertisement

2. alprazolam

alprazolam Android Expert
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    Sounds like you are getting channel interference. Within the 2.4 gHz range, there are small frequency changes so that your neighbors (or your phone's) router doesn't interfere with your. Sign in to your Linksys router and go to wireless settings. Change the channel away from 6. Many routers are set to default at 6. If there is another channel designated, such as 1, then try channel 11.

3. fuzzyreets

fuzzyreets Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 19, 2010
    Thank god I'm not the only one with this happening. Did we find a resolution to this? This is insane.

4. brunobraga

brunobraga Lurker
    None

Dec 10, 2011
    It solved my problem (changing channel from 1 to 11).

UPDATE: oops, the problem showed up again... trying to change the wifi encryption settings instead.

5. UncleVanya

UncleVanya Member
    None

Dec 5, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't understand - how can you get 3G and WiFi enabled at the same time on your phone? My phones (D2G and DX) do not do this. At worst there is a short overlap of a few seconds while the 3G comes on and the WiFi goes off or vice versa. I also use the same Quick Settings application via my notification bar but only my my D2G. My wife is the DX user and does less tinkering than I do.

In theory if both are active - you may be bridging your WiFi network and the 3G which will confuse all the of machine in the network as there will be two outbound default routes and multiple IP address schemes in use.