1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Turning screen off/on during navigation results in message

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GeoUSA, Oct 14, 2013.

1. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Director of IT
    When using Google Navigation on my Verizon Samsung S4, I often turn off the screen to reduce the drain on the battery. Upon turning the screen back on, I am prompted with "Are you sure you want to exit navigation?" I am given the choice of "Cancel" or"Yes, exit." Anyone else experience this? Is there a way to turn off this behavior? It's a small button and not very easy to click when driving.

Advertisement

2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    MECHANIC OBDII. NOS. FUEL INJECTION. Saving a Life
    Park Ave., HELL
    I have but i found out its cause i tap the power button to cut off screen til i need the gps . But its normal cause the screen going off is the problem. Someone said to select maps offline . But i forget so cant say if it works or not

3. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Male
    Seattle
    I'm not certain, but I think it may only works that way with the new Google maps. Yet another example of the programmers apparently having ever in their entire lives used a GPS in the car!

If you can, uninstall the new Google maps and go back to the far superior original version.

4. SebaKL

SebaKL Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Interactive Designer/Developer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    This is strange behavior.
    While I don't have the solution, I just like to share that it works fine on my LTE32 Unlocked (in Malaysia).

The Google navigation wasn't here for a long time, just maps. But when they enabled the option, it work great, and whenever I use it, I constantly turn the screen off to preserve battery and follow the voice navigation. That works fine and not once I have seen the message asking me whether I want to turn it off.

But to be exact, I don't use power button, I use the S-View cover and by simply closing it, the screen goes off and nav continue to work in the background.

Perhaps that's the reason ? A different screen OFF feature for the cover, and different for the power button?

5. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Director of IT
    You are correct, I am using the power button to turn off the screen. Without that special cover I think it is my only way to turn off the screen during navigation. I checked settings and there is a link to report an issue. I just did. There doesn't appear to be many settings or anything related to solving this. There is a new Maps update this morning with bug fixes. I will give it a try and report back.

Thanks.

6. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Director of IT
    The new version of Google Maps still has this problem. It is version 7.3.0 updated on Oct 14, 2013. :mad: