• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Turning the V into a 3d is pretty easy

rjhelgerson

Jan 10, 2011
Hey guys.. Well last week I did the S-Off, and that was simple. And yeah, I've been flashing all kinds of different roms, just for the fun of it, haha...

Turning my phone into a 3d is slightly more tedious (and not as much fun-- you really get a sense of accomplishment when the wire trick works!!)

If I could give some advice? Read the instructions, line by line, word by word and yeah...It's pretty simple.

For me? Well it comes down to texting. I use gosmspro and when I've attempted to send a text, it'll just hang there, pending sending, forever... Now granted, the majority of my texts send without a problem, but a few a day do just that...And the only remedy is to restart the phone. I've sent several texts today, and they've all gone through right away.

Success!

Upvote 0
For me? Well it comes down to texting. I use gosmspro and when I've attempted to send a text, it'll just hang there, pending sending, forever... Now granted, the majority of my texts send without a problem, but a few a day do just that...And the only remedy is to restart the phone. I've sent several texts today, and they've all gone through right away.

Success!
I'm curious if you tried flashing the OTA firmware after getting S-OFF or did you just go straight to the Evo V to Evo 3D thread? I've referred a number of Evo V users on XDA to that thread in the past but I'm trying to figure out if it still makes sense with the OTA released.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
in some other thread ive seen people say that it increase your signal strength?
is thats true?...

right now im using harmonia rom n on s-on hboot 1.57.0000
The firmware that came with the OTA, which is the same version included in the Sprint ICS RUU, is supposed to improve radio reception as well. The radio firmware in the Evo V to Evo 3D thread is from an older GB RUU, so that's why I'm asking.

Has anyone done a comparison of the radio performance after flashing the OTA firmware versus doing the Evo V to Evo 3D thread? I'd try it myself but I have an Evo 3D so it wouldn't mean much to the users in this forum.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
I'm curious if you tried flashing the OTA firmware after getting S-OFF or did you just go straight to the Evo V to Evo 3D thread? I've referred a number of Evo V users on XDA to that thread in the past but I'm trying to figure out if it still makes sense with the OTA released.

ramjet73

No I went straight to the sticky with instructions on how to turn my evo v into an evo 3d

Reactions: ramjet73
Upvote 0
There is no need for the update if you turn your phone into a 3d
Really? The OP of this thread appears to have the configuration from the Evo V to Evo 3D conversion and was still having problems. The recommendation from another user was to install the radio firmware from the OTA.

Intuitively it doesn't make sense to stay on firmware designed for a Sprint GB build when VM has released an update that includes new radio and PRI modules that are consistent with Sprint's ICS and designed to fix the original Evo V radio issues. And the ENG bootloader doesn't appear to be 100% compatible with the current version of TWRP2 as determined in the http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/663486-twrp-2-3-htc-evo-3d.html thread.

I'm not recommending anything until someone can compare the reliability and performance between the OTA firmware and the updates included in the Evo 3D conversion thread, but things have changed with the release of the OTA and I'm not comfortable directing users to the conversion thread by default anymore.

ramjet73

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones