1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Turns Off By Itself, And Will Not Charge

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by boonjabby, Jan 30, 2014.

1. boonjabby

boonjabby Lurker
    None

Jan 30, 2014
    Hello,

My Samsung Note II 2 will not stay on, even if i can get it to turn on it automatically turns off, during start up or after exactly 30 seconds on the home page.

It also does not hold a charge, no charge light or sound or display is apparent.

When it turns off I have to remove the battery to turn it back on.

I charged the battery by jumping it with a makeshift usb charger that is saw on youtube.

The phone has worked fine for months...

Also, I just noticed that when I plug in AC power, the external speaker makes a humming noise, frequency changes with the power device used.

It sometimes goes into a restart loop, failing at startup, then straight away restarting.

Please help, I am up to any suggestions.

*I cleaned battery connections
    *I cleared cache through boot up
    *I reformatted through boot up
    *I tried 2 charger cables and 3 power devices
    *I have tried yelling at it

Advertisement

2. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Well, if yelling at it didn't work, you, my friend, are screwed!!

First thing to try is to see if you can boot into the recovery menu. If you can and it doesn't shut itself down, I could be the OS itself is corrupt. If this is the cases, I would try a Factory Reset. Unfortunately, your laundry list of tried items says that you "Reformatted through boot up." I am taking that means a hard reset. If so, see below.

If it shuts down in recovery also, I would move on the the hardware side. Two possible issues, the first being that the battery may be defective. Do you know someone with the same phone that you could "borrow" their battery long enough to see if that is the issue. If it isn't the battery, then the only other possible culprit is hardware. It could be either the charging circuit or some other component that is causing the resets.

3. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Charging via a usb cable can easily ruin the battery. Also, humming while plugged in doesn't say much for your charger. Is it the stock white charger (2 amp)? Samsung devices prefer a Samsung charger for full output.

I'm leaning toward needing a new charger, battery and phone. From what you're saying it sounds like a defective charger (or using the usb cable) may have fried things.

saltz and tube517 like this.