• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [TUT] Building CyanogenMod 7 for the Prevail from source

hroark13

Android Expert
Recognized Developer
Jul 15, 2011
Squadzone has made an excellent tutorial and script for setting up and making CyanogenMod
I am using most of it and making some tiny changes and additions for use with the Prevail

Requirements :
1.OS linux Ubuntu 11.04 64bits ( recommended ) or above
2.2Gb RAM with 3Gb swap or above
3.Processor Centrino Duo or above
4.120Gb Harddisk or above
5.Fast internet connection

First download this file to you Downloads folder
installerBuildRomGalmin.sh
Password : squadzone

Open Terminal

$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"

Enter your password

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin

if you get an error

$ sudo apt-get -f install

$ chmod 7777 ./Downloads/installerBuildRomGalmin.sh
$ sudo ./Downloads/installerBuildRomGalmin.sh

say yes or OK to any prompts and Install the recommended packages

follow all instructions that appear,
after Finish, now we goto download repository

still on Terminal
type

$ mkdir -p ~/cm7/system
$ sudo su
$ sudo curl https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > /bin/repo
$ sudo chmod a+x /bin/repo
$ exit
$ cd cm7/system
$ repo init -u https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b gingerbread

Enter you name and email when asked and say yes to color display

$ repo sync -j32

THIS WILL TAKE A WHILE TO FINISH

download this zip file, unzip, and copy contents into /cm7/system
prevail_cm7_config.zip
merge all folders and overwrite any files

still on Terminal
type

$ ./vendor/cyanogen/get-rommanager

(ROM manager does not support our phone, but we need this file for the build to work)

$ source ./build/envsetup.sh
$ lunch full_prevail-eng
$ mka -j4 bacon

THIS WILL TAKE A WHILE TO FINISH

WHEN FINISHED YOU WILL HAVE A FOLDER
cm7/system/out/target/product/prevail
WITH A BUNCH OF GOODIES IN IT, LIKE YOUR ROM AND CWM(YES THIS MAKES CWM FOR YOU)
THE ZIP FILE update-cm-nightly-signed.zip IS THE ROM
THIS IS FLASHABLE IN CWM
I USUALLY TAKE THAT ZIP UNZIP IT AND PUT A MODDED INSTALLER SCRIPT IN IT, REMOVE ROM MANAGER, AND ADD SOME LAST MINUTE FILES AND GAPPS FILES AND SUCH

I BUILD THE ROM ODEXED BECAUSE WHEN I AM DEBUGGING THE ROM AN ODEXED ROM BOOTS SO MUCH FASTER THE FIRST TIME AND I AM CONSTANTLY REFLASHING AND WIPING TO TEST NEW
SETTINGS

IF YOU WANT CM7 TO BUILD THE ROM DE-ODEXED FOR YOU

EDIT THIS FILE IN TEXT EDITOR

cm7/system/device/samsung/prevail/BoardConfig.mk

ON THE BOTTOM OF THE FILE LOOK FOR THIS SECTION

#JIT / Optimizations
WITH_DEXPREOPT := true
JS_ENGINE := v8

Add # so it looks like this and save the file

#JIT / Optimizations
#WITH_DEXPREOPT := true
JS_ENGINE := v8

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY COMPILED THE SOURCE AND YOU MAKE CHANGES TO THE BoardConfig.mk YOU WILL HAVE TO DO THIS FOR YOUR NEXT BUILD

$ make clobber clean
$ source ./build/envsetup.sh
$ lunch full_prevail-eng
$ mka -j4 bacon

I WILL BE MAKING CHANGES TO THE CODE FROM TIME TO TIME SO YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE NEW SOURCE FROM

https://github.com/hroark13/prevail_cm7_config

If I have helped you, and you like my work, please click on the Thanks Button and give my thread a rating by clicking on the stars above.

If you would like to buy me a beer cofee, you can click on the PayPal button

oh ok i tried a while back to compile the kernel from the ee14 source i think , but i got a bucket load of errors and plus i upgraded to ubuntu 11.04 from 10.04 and ive been getting a bunch of issues on my system.
not to get too far off topic but I gave up on ubuntu after they went to unity. :mad:
I however found one that works better and it seems they feel the same about unity.

Linux Mint.
They have ubuntu based and debian based I like the debian based but I also like the rolling upgrade, I dont need to upgrade my system its always updated.

Upvote 0
Hroak this is awesome best.tut.I needed I just finished Modding my laptop *going off topic* its a dell mini duo with ubuntu 11.10 custom kernel with windows 8 dev and dell stoped supporting it after I.bought LOL so I have no decent drivers or support. But Modding wise it runs like a horse but any way going back on topic this well help me out a lot to building a rom and to forking cm9 with 7 I always like to frankinstine my stuff LOL

Upvote 0
Hroak this is awesome best.tut.I needed I just finished Modding my laptop *going off topic* its a dell mini duo with ubuntu 11.10 custom kernel with windows 8 dev and dell stoped supporting it after I.bought LOL so I have no decent drivers or support. But Modding wise it runs like a horse but any way going back on topic this well help me out a lot to building a rom and to forking cm9 with 7 I always like to frankinstine my stuff LOL

its really Squadzones tut

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1423460

i changed a few things

Upvote 0
Removed everything. went back through all the above mentioned steps, got to the repo sync -j32 comand and keep getting this error now:

fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection refused)
github.com[0: 207.97.227.239]: errno=Connection refused

Not sure how to fix this. Any help would be awesome.

Edit: Got it. :D

Upvote 0
Removed everything. went back through all the above mentioned steps, got to the repo sync -j32 comand and keep getting this error now:

github.com[0: 207.97.227.239]: errno=Connection refused

Not sure how to fix this. Any help would be awesome.

what do you mean remove everything

maybe try renaming the ./repo folder
in your /home/user folder

you have to press control h to see hidden folders and files

Reactions: The~Skater~187
Upvote 0
"I USUALLY TAKE THAT ZIP UNZIP IT AND PUT A MODDED INSTALLER SCRIPT IN IT, REMOVE ROM MANAGER, AND ADD SOME LAST MINUTE FILES AND GAPPS FILES AND SUCH"

how do I remove rom manager from it most importantly? also doesn't unzipping the file break the signing keys on it?

remove the Rom Manager apk from the /app foler

yes it breaks the signing, signing is something I have not concerned myself with

Upvote 0
so you just re-zip it after that?

edit: I also want to know whats the chance this will brick my phone? I am using this guide but modded some parts to build for the warp and it seems to be working well :D I already made a first build but scrapped it since it wasn't de-odex'd now im de-odexing it

Upvote 0
so you just re-zip it after that?

edit: I also want to know whats the chance this will brick my phone? I am using this guide but modded some parts to build for the warp and it seems to be working well :D I already made a first build but scrapped it since it wasn't de-odex'd now im de-odexing it

When ever you load custom ROMs or kernels you are taking a chance of bricking the phone

My instructions and source are for building for the Samsung Prevail

It can be used as an example and adapted for the Warp if you use the files from the Warp and adjust your boardconfig settings for the Warp

I am not too familiar with the Warp, I know QuietStorm is working on CM7 for it, you should hook up with him and see how far he is.

He is pretty cool, I helped him get CWM working for it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones