• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[TUT] How to force install apps to SD card without ROOT!!!

I have a Precedent and have had this problem. I followed your directions twice through and still can't save any apps to my sd. Everything appears to work and if I check the "get" instead of the "set" and it is on 2-external.

I cannot do any moves to the SD and cannot save directly to it. What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Praky,

First of all, thanks for the detailed tutorial. I've downloaded Android SDK and am in the process of downloading JDK right now. I've gone through many replies to this post and feel that I shouldn't face a problem in going through it. However, I do have a few questions on my mind before I go ahead:

1. What are the chances of data damage (messages and contacts) in this process?
2. I tried using Samsung Kies to backup messages and contacts, but it gives an error. Any idea what could be wrong here?
3. What's the concept behind rooting the phone? And how do I go about installing a custom ROM (if you think that's better than rooting)

I'd appreciate if you could give specific answers to my queries. I'm ex-tech support myself so I think I'll be able to grasp most of the technical jargon.

Thanks in advance,

Arrow

Upvote 0
Praky,

First of all, thanks for the detailed tutorial. I've downloaded Android SDK and am in the process of downloading JDK right now. I've gone through many replies to this post and feel that I shouldn't face a problem in going through it. However, I do have a few questions on my mind before I go ahead:

1. What are the chances of data damage (messages and contacts) in this process?
2. I tried using Samsung Kies to backup messages and contacts, but it gives an error. Any idea what could be wrong here?
3. What's the concept behind rooting the phone? And how do I go about installing a custom ROM (if you think that's better than rooting)

I'd appreciate if you could give specific answers to my queries. I'm ex-tech support myself so I think I'll be able to grasp most of the technical jargon.

Thanks in advance,

Arrow

Okay, I did it, worked out smoothly. However, App2SD still shows the following apps under Phone Only (can not be moved to SD):

Maps, Market, Dictionary, Gmail, Youtube, Google Search, Street View and Android Apps

Any suggestions??

Upvote 0
Hello Guys,

Praky and other experts, thanks for the support. Appreciate it.

Ive followed all the steps mentioned in the first post and successfully implemented it.

However I need a quick clarification please,
I have a Galaxy R. Will I be able to install my appl on the EXTERNAL SD? Currently any game that I install is being installed into the INTERNAL SD. Even after using Apps2SD to move the file to SD card, when the games download thro' WiFi it gets downloaded and installed into the INTERNAL SD. Is there any way I can set it to download it into the EXTERNAL SD without rooting my phone?

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Upvote 0
I'm stuck at step 3 (see screen shots)
sdklog.jpg

sdkv.jpg

did i do something wrong or missed something?

Thanks advance for help

Upvote 0
hey praky

thanx a lot buddy..
this is my first android phone..just new to android world..
nd i was so worried in first fifteen days of using this phone for its dipping internal memory aftr evry app install..was thinking to root my phone nd den i read this excellent post..nd boooooom.........!!!!!!!!
i now have 100+mb free with al the apps i need in my phone as compared to 60-70 mb with far less apps earlier..it now runs so smoothly..thanx again..
now can u help me out if i should root my phone or not..i want to explore my phone but know nothing much about android..although i have been searching a lot about rooting nd al..my basic need for memory is fulfilled..so can u tell me wat benefits will i have if i root my phone..
ur reply wil help me a lot in deciding..

Upvote 0
i am stuck on step 3
i choose Google USB Driver Package then i click install package
it opens another window with "Android SDK...." selection and a "Google USB..." selection so i select both and click install
suddently an error log appears which says:

Done loading packages.
Preparing to install archives
Downloading Android SDK Platform-tools, revision 10
Failed to create directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\temp
Done. Nothing was installed.
Preparing to install archives
Downloading Android SDK Platform-tools, revision 10
Failed to create directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\temp
Done. Nothing was installed.

How can i fix this? thank u

Upvote 0
i am stuck on step 3
i choose Google USB Driver Package then i click install package
it opens another window with "Android SDK...." selection and a "Google USB..." selection so i select both and click install
suddently an error log appears which says:

How can i fix this? thank u

nevermind problem solved. i ran it as administrator and went through the rest steps smoothly. thanks a lot my ace works perfectly
p.s. its weird how a company like samsung&google let this bug trouble so many ppl and let them take the risk to fix it their selves

Upvote 0
This is the way I did..
When I launched my command prompt , I was on this directory:C:\Users\Harsha>
The I entered : cd C:\ ( means change directory to C:
the I moved to C directory and command prompt showed this:
C:\>
after that I did not type anything but instead pressed tab until I saw android-sdk-windows(the folder where i installed drivers)
selec the folder which appears and enter
once u r intot hat sub folder press tab again until you find the sub folder's name appearing..
In this way you dont make any mistakes in writing the directory path
once you you reach the desired location, then start typing commands..

Hope it helps

thank you for posting this thread , i have been struggling all day to command my laptop until i stumbled across this thread then it only took me 10 mins.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones