1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Tut: Installing/Updating Swype Beta for Huawei Ascend M860 (Root req'd)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pull, Feb 17, 2011.

1. pull

pull Lurker
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    I'm sure many of you have read similar tuts, but I prefer to rename things as opposed to destroying them. I'm also partial to command line, as opposed to ad-laden poorly made file managers. Also, even when I mounted system as RW, I had to change specific file permissions to rename them. Which, I found, was not covered by other tutorials.

REQ'D: Rooted Huawei Ascend (m860), Terminal Emulator.
    1: Change input method to android keyboard (otherwise the apk will keep coming back)
    2: Mount system as rw. Data should already be RW.
    3: Hop on terminal emulator as superuser and browse to system/data. You need only input su once.
    eg:
    su
    cd /system/app
    4: Change permissions for Swype.apk eg: chmod 777 Swype.apk
    You can also use wildcards, but be careful. No need to change permissions on files we don't need to rename. EG: chmod 777 Sw*
    5: Rename Swype.apk to Swype.apk.old
    EG: mv Swype.apk Swype.apk.old
    Do NOT use wildcards for mv.
    6: Browse to the other directories and rename them as well.
    EG:
    cd /system/lib
    chmod 777 *Swype*
    mv libSwypeCore.so libSwypeCore.so.old

WARNING: I personally chose to delete the cache file as opposed to renaming it, but it's always preferred to rename. Also be VERY careful when using wildcards for rm.

cd /data/dalv*
    chmod 777 *Swype*
    rm *Swype*

After we have removed all traces of the default installation of Swype, we can go ahead and reboot, and install swype beta.
    Njoy.

-Pull

Advertisement

JJ_ and Gmash like this.
  2. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    What are the advantages of this ?

3. pull

pull Lurker
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    The advantages of what? Having the new version of swype? I don't know about metroPCS, but Cricket is using an older version of swype, and they don't seem to keep up with the updates. Any phone that comes with swype pre-installed does not allow you to update it unless the phone carrier releases an update. Since we all know that froyo has been out for quite some time and neither cricket nor metro has released an update, we can gauge their reliability on software updates near null.

So, if that's what you meant, the new version of swype is a lot more accurate and tends to work faster. Since I used this method and installed the beta version, I almost never have to correct the words I "swyped."

Darkd10 and Gmash like this.
  4. Darkd10

Darkd10 Newbie
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    This is actually quite interesting. I noticed no option in CM7 for swype, so maybe I can configure this. Thanks for the background knowledge.

5. Darkd10

Darkd10 Newbie
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    Wow, that was a doosy.

Long story short:

Ttried to install Swype Beta onto CM7, after about 8 system crashes it finally installed. When I went to use it, crashing about twice before allowing me to text, it informed me that my phone was not compatible, and that some features wouldn't work.

Some features? It wouldn't let me swype at all... It was just like the android keyboard with single button presses (which I hate).

Anyone know of any fixes or is this a bug which still needs to be ironed out?

6. travioso

travioso Android Expert
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    Ocala, FL
    I know this is an older post, but on cm7 05052011 it randomly does that to me.. It will flash a blue box around the keyboard and not enter text. All i do to fix is long press onto the input box, change to android keyboard, then immediately change back to swype keyboard and all is well.. Others though have said it forcecloses on install so i guess its hit or miss..

7. septembersrain

septembersrain 句_句 Smurfing Awesome
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Female
    Esurance - Insurance Agent
    San Antonio, TX
    Yeah, No. I've tried everything I can think of to make Swype work with Cm7. So far no luck. I'm just glad I found an option that is *Almost* as effective.

Ultra Keyboard, It's called Tracing, and with a little tweaking it gets pretty accurate. ^.^

8. travioso

travioso Android Expert
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    Ocala, FL
    I thought i was about to have to goto Ultra Keyboard.. Went to cm7 0507 and got errors with swype.. force closed and then said invalid license etc next.. titbu wipe data/uninstall.. re installed through the beta program swype-installer.apk.. good to go again.. maybe try signing up through a diff email?? dunno..