• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Tutorial] How to root the Samsung Rugby Smart

The odin root method I posted (written by ^ kemonine96 ^ actually) may work out well, if the kernel is the same.

I would not recommend using any of the ODIN images beyond maybe recovery for gaining root. The safest bet would be to try the stock update root method and even that will be semi-iffy. I would wager the ril / antenna / baseband are different than the ATT version at least and who knows what else they may have tweaked...

Upvote 0
I'm no tech pro, I'm just a fairly advanced home user, so I spent some time reading about what I was considering doing. If you haven't, read Tresezk's All Things Root Guide on this board, read all of it before you decide to root your phone. Then go search for some more info.

The actual steps are simple, you don't need any real knowledge about rooting to do it, but if something goes sour during the process you're going to have no idea what's happening or what you can try to do to correct it, and you just might have produced an expensive paperweight.

The update file ended up in a strange sub-sub-directory (I forget what it was) on my sdcard and took a bit of searching to find. Other than that, everything went off fine. Feels great to be a super user.

Thanks to the developer.

Take care

Upvote 0
Titanium backup or Ultimate Backup may help for cleaning bloatware. You'll want to be sure to backup any apps you plan on deleting before actually deleting them. Otherwise you'll get stuck if another OTA comes through.

Good point Kemonine. I made it a habit of making backups, so I just played until it broke. Also, ES File Explorer has an app backup, but I'm not syre if it'll touch system apps.

Upvote 0
I thought I find more on root the samsung Rugby smart I847 it been nice if some of you guys was good at root smasung Rugy i847 ,if you would unroot your phone. Then root it again maken a video of this..! I love to see my phone rooted,but the best I can tell by others post here. Some get their phone rooted and they work and other do it,and it does not turn out so well! I see a lot of thing on this post I would correct. A lot of people are not going to know how to get to mass storage.

1. Download the update.zip file below.

2. Copy the zip file into the USB Storage on the Rugby Smart.
This link explans about the mass storage.
How Do I Connect My Samsung RUGBY

3. Boot the Rugby Smart into Recovery

To enter the Android System Recovery mode, follow these steps:

1. With the phone turned off, press the Power key and Volume Up keys at the same time.
The Samsung logo will appear for a few seconds and then disappear. Continue to press the Power key and Volume Up keys.
2. When the Samsung logo reappears, release the Power key and Volume Up keys then press and hold the MENU key.
3. Continue to press the MENU key for 15-20 seconds, until Recovery mode is launched and the Android System Recovery icon is displayed.
4. Release the MENU key.
5. Press the MENU key again.

6. The following options are displayed:
  • reboot system now: this option turns on your phone.
  • apply update from sdcard: this option allows you to apply updates from your memory card to your phone.
  • wipe data/factory reset: deletes all data from the phone except pictures and videos.
  • wipe cache partition: allows you to delete all cache data such as log files.
  • install fota: allows you to install over-the-air firmware.
7. Use the Volume Up/Down keys to scroll up or down, then press the key to make a selection.

4. Choose the apply update from sdcard and select the update.zip file with the home button.

5. Now choose reboot system now and confirm with reboot.

Your Samsung Rugby Smart should have root now.

I used a similar tutorial from forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1317394
zip.gif
update.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Could not get into recovery mode here is what I found

Samsungs way to do it To enter the Android System Recovery mode, follow these steps:

With the phone turned off, press the Power key and
Volume Up/Down keys at the same time until the phone
switches on.
Once the SAMSUNG logo appears, release the Power key
while continuing to press the Volume Up/Down keys.
Continue to press the Volume Up/Down keys for at least 8
seconds, until Recovery mode is launched and the Android
System Recovery screen is displayed.
Release the Volume Up/Down keys.
The following options are available:
• reboot system now: this option turns on your phone.
• apply update from sdcard: this option allows you to apply updates
from your memory card to your phone.

Upvote 0
Ok so I did this and everything seemed to go well. I had to transfer the update to internal memory first as well but whatever, it seemed to work. Now call me stupid but how do I remove the bloatware? I have gone to manage apps via settings but I don't see an uninstall option. This is my first smart phone but not new to pc's or linux.

Upvote 0
First you should add CWM/TWRP:
(For CWM, see previous post)
TWRP 2.4.3.0

Use either of these to make a backup

Secondly you need an insecure boot.img:
MH-Kernel v1.2

This is also a slightly modified kernel, so far it proved to be more efficient than the stock kernel, meaning mildly better battery life.

With these two things you can play to your heart's content

Or.........

Flash to CM9, CM10, Paranoid or my personal favorite, AOKP-JB, all of which are already debloated.

Upvote 0
Could not get into recovery mode here is what I found

Samsungs way to do it To enter the Android System Recovery mode, follow these steps:

With the phone turned off, press the Power key and
Volume Up/Down keys at the same time until the phone
switches on.
Once the SAMSUNG logo appears, release the Power key
while continuing to press the Volume Up/Down keys.
Continue to press the Volume Up/Down keys for at least 8
seconds, until Recovery mode is launched and the Android
System Recovery screen is displayed.
Release the Volume Up/Down keys.
The following options are available:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones