• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root tutorial issue

AlphaWhelp

Lurker
Jul 4, 2010
So the idiot proof tutorial isn't exactly completely idiot proof. I've been following it step by step so far and I'm almost to the end, but I've hit a snag. I'm here right now: 29. If ROM Manager just won't work for you, download this file, rename it to "update.zip," and copy it to the root of your SD card just like we did with the debug image before.

Now, two things, #1 ROM Manager worked just fine for me, however, the remaining steps seem to proceed as though it assumes ROM Manager failed, and I'm a little confused as when I try to install update.zip, it says it can't find update.zip and then I have to reboot my phone.

#2 I tried to download the update.zip file linked to in the tutorial and continue that way, but it says webpage is temporarily unavailable. tried several times, seems dead.

also, I have a question. I supposedly flashed a rooted ROM earlier in the tutorial, yet I still have to run unrevoked to get root access. Is this normal?

edit: if I open ROM Manager and select the option to boot directly into clockwork recovery, which is where the Tutorial says I should be, the Tutorial says I should see this menu:

-reboot system now
-apply sdcard: update.zip
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-install zip from sdcard
-nandroid
-partitions menu
-advanced

except that I only see the first four options, the last four options are not there.

It sounds like you understand the basic steps towards rooting, and that education is the only plus to the manual rooting method that you describe above.

Have you tried running this instead? [Program] SimpleRoot .1 ---- 3 Click Root w/ nand unlock!! - xda-developers

It will take care of all your problems, the root will be finished, and you'll be able to just use Rom Manager easily from there on out.

Upvote 0
Did you do the OTA update with Sprint? Go to Menu-> Settings->About Phone-> Software Information. What is your Baseband Version

2.05 = Can't root because you did the OTA update with sprint. Sprint/Google decided to make this hard-coded. We'll all have to wait until the dev's out there figure root for this radio version.

1.39= You're good to go with root.

I had to find out the hard way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones