• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [TUTORIAL]Simple Gingerbread .602 SBF and Root Process (Updated 9.9.11)

SimsDelt

Android Expert
Aug 4, 2010
Bremen, Georgia
List of Files/Links: you will need all these files for my tutorial

.602 SBF File

Motorola Droid X Driver

RSD Lite 5.4.4

[URL="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6643359/Software/Android/PetesMotorolaRootTools_v1.07.zip"]Psouza4's 1 Click Root
[/URL]
Droid 2 Bootstrap

*Disclaimer* I am not responsible for any damage you do to your device. If you follow my instructions and ask questions before you do something you will be fine. If you don't follow instructions to the letter you will probably brick your device and have to start all over. This is easy to do as long as you don't jump the gun or freak out. If something unexpected comes up just ask a question and someone can help you. For the most part you cannot mess up your device so far as it cannot be recovered, but if you are in a menu that has scary stuff in it and you don't know what it is... don't do anything...lol. This is your phone and you take responsibility for it. This process will erase all data on your phone. Backup all your information that you need to keep.

So once you download everything you need do it all in this order....

SBF Your Phone
-Unzip RSD Lite 5.4.4 and Install It
-Unzip .602 SBF File
-Install Motorola Droid X Driver File
-Open RSD Lite 5.4.4
-Select "..." Next to Filename box and navigate to the SBF file you unzipped and then select Open.
-Power off your phone and then hold down the volume down button, camera and power at the same time (should see a small flash on the screen immediately, then release all and you will be in the bootloader)
-Plug in your Droid X to your computer's USB Port and let the computer recognize it.
-Select "Show Device" in RSD Lite if you don't see your phone already and then Select "Start". The SBF Process will take about 10 minutes (do not SBF if you have a low battery, I always recommend doing it with at least 80% battery)
-When all is finished your phone will power off and back on... unplug it and pull the battery. Put the battery back in and hold down the home button while you power the device back on... keep holding the home button till you see a triangle with an exclamation point, then let go and hit both volume buttons at the same time to enter Recovery. Use the volume buttons to move down to "wipe data/cache" press the Power button to select then scroll down to "yes" and press Power again. When it finishes (2 - 3 minutes) select "reboot" using the Power button again.
-it will reboot and take a while to do so.

Alternate SBF for .602
Aggie12 updated his Linux CD for the new .602 SBF. If you don't want to use RSD Lite then use his CD found here -> http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...table-linux-cd-soley-sbf-headache-free-2.html . After the SBF from his bootable Linux CD follow the instructions above in reference to booting into stock recovery and doing a factory reset. Using either method of SBF it is recommended (most of the time necessary) to do a factory reset to clean out all the old data from your system. If you don't factory reset you will most likely boot-loop until you do reset.

Rooting Your GingerBread System .602 (Will Root .605 as well)
-Make sure you have Motorola drivers installed - [Download Drivers]
-Download and unzip ‘Psouza4's 1 Click Root′
-On your phone: Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging(check box)
-Plug phone into computer
-Navigate to the folder you unzipped 1 click root to and run ‘MotorolaOneClickRoot’
-Now just follow the instructions in the command window and unlock the phone after each reboot.

Installing a custom Gingergread ROM (This will work for 2nd-Init GB Kernel ROM's as well)
-Go to Settings -> Applications -> and check the box next to "Unknown Sources" and then press OK on the warning that comes up. (this allows you to install non-market 3rd party apps on your phone)
-Put Droid 2 Bootstrapper and the ROM.zip file that you want to install on the root of your SD Card (main SD CARD directory, not in a folder)
-Install Droid 2 Bootstrapper
-Open Droid 2 Bootstrapper and select "Bootstrap Recovery"
-It will request Superuser Permission, allow it and then select "Reboot Recovery"
-Phone will reboot, use your volume buttons to move up and down in the menus and the camera button to select. Back button will move you to the previous menu.
-Wipe data/cache (always do when installing a new ROM)
-Then select install from zip
-Select zip from sdcard
-Select the ROM zip that you downloaded and it will install (about 10 mins)
-Once you reboot into the ROM proceed to setup your phone as you want.

Please post with any questions, I don't think I left anything out.

Thanks my friend... its funny... first time around it will take a non-experienced user a few hours to do this probably... I can now SBF, root, upgrade, load a ROM and have all my settings back in about 30 mins. Gotta love Tibu... and I've done that exact tutorial about 5 or 6 times in the last few weeks between giving SSX and multiple CM7 nightlies a chance....

Upvote 0
Your DA MAN. I tried looking at all the tutorials and was scared to do anything. Actually all the other tutorials made me confused as hell.

I just followed you steps and bam, rooted .596 and about to do my first rom too!!!! Going to have fun with Liberty.

Thank you thank you and thank you again.

I am not a newbie, but to all other newbies, go and try it

Upvote 0
Your DA MAN. I tried looking at all the tutorials and was scared to do anything. Actually all the other tutorials made me confused as hell.

I just followed you steps and bam, rooted .596 and about to do my first rom too!!!! Going to have fun with Liberty.

Thank you thank you and thank you again.

I am not a newbie, but to all other newbies, go and try it

Glad it helped... I tried to make the tutorial in as easy wording as possible and not skip a single step or potential error you might get.

Upvote 0
SimsDelt,

Nice write up. Although, I have been around here for a while now and done my fair share of flashing things and doing this and that, I still find myself sifting back through all the old posts for find one step or two here and there. This puts them all in one place. Thanks for the post. You should sticky this for a little while, I think it will really help newbie's and oldie's alike :)

Upvote 0
Ok so I have been out of the loop for awhile, I'm on system build 2.3.340.mb810 android 2.2.1 bandbase bp_c_01.09.07p kernel 2.6.32.9-g55626e1 biuld# Apex 1.3.1 watermark'd, I would like to get to Apex 2.0 can anybody help me out. I have went to Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone Something for everyone and read up but do not fully understand what I need to do. thanks

Upvote 0
But the 2 part file will only work on stock rooted .340 ... so its easier to just SBF... plus its a good time to learn how to... it really is simple once you do it once... especially the Linux cd SBF...its idiot proof once you burn the cd. If you are wanting to get to a clean install of gingerbread and then on to a good ginger rom... I always recommend a fresh .340 SBF... upgrade... then backup your phone... then install the ROM. That way if you want to go back to stock before installing another ROM it is super simple... just re-flash your nandroid and your ready to go... would have helped here too... I still have my .340 stock nandroid... eventhough I'm on Ginger all the time... never know when I might need to have it back for some reason...

Upvote 0
Can't you just use the P3Droid monster zip instead of sbfing and rooting and installing the 2 part zip? I thought it was an all in one that would get you rooted and ready to install cm7. Is that not right? Or does it only get you ready for cm7 and not another rom like liberty?

Actually it's the P3Droid "All in One" from the TBH app. The Monster is for installing CM7.

Reactions: aaCharley
Upvote 0
Actually it's the P3Droid "All in One" from the TBH app. The Monster is for installing CM7.

You are right. Thanks. I got a replacement with OTA 596 on it. So, what I'm about to do is:

1) follow instructions here to install the p3droid all in one zip CM7 Beta compliments of CVPCS

2) Reinstall Rom Mgr Premium and make sure I have the latest version and 2nd init selected (so letters are orange in recovery).

3) Click download rom and select latest nightly (make sure Wipe Dalvik and Install G Apps are checked).

4) Flash fixit zips from here All In One Fix Zip for CM4DX and enjoy CM7

Is that it? :D

or is it better or does it matter if I:

1) SBF to Froyo
2) Root with z4root
3) Reinstall Rom Mgr Premium (is there no need for D2 bootstrapper if I go this way?)
4) Flash CM7 Nightly
5) Flash fixit zips and enjoy

Upvote 0
You are right. Thanks. I got a replacement with OTA 596 on it. So, what I'm about to do is:

1) follow instructions here to install the p3droid all in one zip CM7 Beta compliments of CVPCS

2) Reinstall Rom Mgr Premium and make sure I have the latest version and 2nd init selected (so letters are orange in recovery).

3) Click download rom and select latest nightly (make sure Wipe Dalvik and Install G Apps are checked).

4) Flash fixit zips from here All In One Fix Zip for CM4DX and enjoy CM7

Is that it? :D

Yep, that should get you to CM7. Just make sure to flash the Monster-All in One from your step (1) twice to get to the proper radio.

Reactions: aaCharley
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones