1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

TV Box for in-browser video streaming

Discussion in 'TV & Video' started by RiquezJP, Jul 13, 2017.

1. RiquezJP

RiquezJP Lurker

I am looking to buy a Mini PC or Android TV box (for minimum cost) for one purpose only - to watch streaming video in the browser.

There are some TV/Movie websites I use & ideally I would like to run Chrome for these websites on a 1080p TV

I currently use a media centre PC with Mint, but I would like a small dedicated box & use the PC for something else.
    I also have a raspberry pi, which works, but it's slow & frustrating, so would like something faster.

There seems to be info lacking about how to do this or what boxes are capable - some don't even seem to have a browser & reviews seem to skip over this detail.

Can you point me in the right direction as to what specs or devices I should look at?

#1 RiquezJP, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I think most of these cheap quad-core Android TV boxes are capable of running Chrome, and can view things like YouTube at 1080p no problem, they've all got HDMI out. So probably need to look for a reputable supplier, try Amazon.

3. RiquezJP

RiquezJP Lurker

Thanks!
    It will have to be banggood. Amazon in Japan is overpriced & choice is limited.
    I was looking at the MXQ or XiaoMi

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I know the Xiaomi Mi Box is OK, and should do what you require. Anything branded as "MXQ" can be a bit of a crap-shoot, and those all come from unknown manufacturers, and many of them the quality and reliability not so good.

RiquezJP likes this.
  5. RiquezJP

RiquezJP Lurker

ahh thanks. I was just checking some reviews & yes it seems the MXQ is not a good option.

I am looking at Xiaomi Mi Box now looks good. It says you "sideload" Chrome & other apps, which looks fairly simple.

Mini M8S II looks capable. Hopefully can sideload on that too - Any reason to avoid it?
    Other options like the MXIII & CooleMe MB2 are sold out