• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help TweetDeck problems

Neera

Mar 4, 2010
IL
Is anyone else having problems with notifications?

The notifications work as a charm as long as the phone is awake or plugged in and charging, but as soon as the screen goes black and it is in sleep mode, I get no more notifications till I wake up the phone.

This is on an unrooted Droid Eris running 2.1
It does remember the timeline position just fine.

For some reason, Tweetdeck does not have a server component, so it just runs in the background as a background process, making it potentially more likely to be suspended when memory gets tight. Running with a rooted Eris and memory set to stock functionality, I have no problems with Tweetdeck continuing to update in the background, but when I ran with the Autokiller app (which makes Android keep more RAM free) it was always getting suspended.

Unless you are running an automatic task killer, I'm not sure that there is much that you can do except contact Tweetdeck on their forum and ask if they would build a server component that would listen for notifications without being suspended (and, while they are at it, would be able to launch on phone restart.) I've asked for the feature myself, but I figure the more that people ask, the more likely it will happen.

Reactions: Neera
Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply doogald.
I am not running a task killer, but I have been experiencing low memory problems lately. So that must be why Android is killing TweetDeck.
Often times it is as low as 10-15% available memory.

Atm it reads:

* Avail: 12MB+0.00 in 19 (12MB of completely free memory & 0.00MB of available memory in 19 background processes it can kill at any time.)

• Other: 0.00 in 4 (0.00MB of unavailable memory in 4 unkillable processes (processes that are currently considered to be foreground and must be kept running)

These values used to be much higher (20-30MB avail + 80 etc.)

I have done everything from restarting, clearing cache etc. except a factory reset.
Do you think that could help restore some available memory?

I am not running too low on internal storage either. I have between 45-50MB free.

I don't have many apps installed either, less than 20, not sure what changed in the last couple days.

Sometimes the phone gets so laggy to the point where it just totally freezes.

Upvote 0
Before trying a factory reset, do you have a lot of stored text messages or a lot of calls in your call log? I'm not sure that these take RAM (as opposed to storage), but I wonder if it does? There are apps that can delete messages older than a month, say, or keep your call log trimmed.

If that does not work, one of two other things (and I would usually not suggest this) is an automatic task killer, with Tweetdeck set as an exception.

If that still doesn't work - again, this is not something to do lightly, but you can consider rooting the phone. You can try running stock while rooted, giving you the ability to uninstall those apps that always run in the background that you may not be using (peep, footprints, amazon mp3 store - unless, of course, you are using them), or flash the ROM xtrSENSE, which runs just like stock 2.1 Eris, without these pesky problems. I just flashed xtrSENSE yesterday for the first time, though I've been rooted since May, and I installed about 58 third party apps, restored 175 sms messages, set up everything, and Tweetdeck is running just fine; I also have 42 MB RAM free.)

If you do think about rooting, you can learn a lot more in the "All things root" thread. Do note, though, that installing xtrSENSE will be just like doing a factory reset - the best thing is to start everything from scratch.

I hope that whatever you decide works.

Upvote 0
I have been thinking about rooting for a bit now to be honest. But of course a little scared I might brick the phone lol.

Till recently the phone was actually running very nicely with just the regular 50% without signal bug (I put it in airplane mode briefly to fix it) and the trackball weirdness/screen scrolling to the left).

I did erase my call log completely and trimmed some text messages. I would say I my total text messages are under 2000 distributed over 6-7 threads.

I might try your task killer solution with TweetDeck set as en exception. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones