1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Twidroid alternative?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by punkzanyj, Jun 4, 2009.

1. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Android Expert
    None

Oct 20, 2008
    Any other Tweeters gettin tired of Twidroid?

The dev had it perfect, in my opinion, about a month or two ago.

Since then, there's been this odd bug where sometimes you can't update, in fact, MOST of the time you can't update normally. You have to uninstall it first and then install the new version. And their solution is just to "suggest" this in the description.
    Last week they had two updates and I had to install them 3-4 times each before they would work. I'd install, have it running and get told "there's a new update!" which is actually just the same update. Now when you tap exit it asks you "do you want to clear your username, password, and cache now?" If you press "no" it doesn't exit.

Unistalling/reinstalling wouldn't be such a huge deal except you have to re-enable it, re-enter your login info, and do all your settings over. By default it saves the cache to the phone, so you have to switch it to the SD card. By default it's going to check every 5 minutes and drain your battery, by default it doesn't show full messages in the notification shade, etc, etc...

It's a shame, as it worked perfectly with statusinator (for facebook). So, I could update my facebook status in statusinator and have automatically ask me if I wanted it copied to twitter, too.

But since statusinator doesn't work with cupcake, and appears to have been abandoned by the dev some time ago, I'm looking for a new twitter client.

I'm not going to pay for a client. I find it ridiculous for someone to expect me to pay for an app that runs a free service. That's like paying someone to turn on my television and change the channels.

I'm trying BuddyMob and twitteride and they're both "okay" so far. Anything that's awesome, does notifications, and has a connection for facebook status updates?

thanks!

Advertisement

2. plainbrad

plainbrad Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2009
    I have had no issues at all with Twidroid as of late. In fact, just the opposite. The updates in the last month have made it run smoother and better for me.

3. plainbrad

plainbrad Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2009
    But I have found that twit2go Twit2go | Fully featured Twitter client for Android phones. is a nice clean twitter app too. But I think it only notifys on direct messages and replies to you.

4. bungdung91

bungdung91 Newbie
    None

May 22, 2009
    Do any of these apps have an accompanying widget... twidgit is super crash prone!

5. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Android Expert
    None

Oct 20, 2008
    I wanted to give this a bump.

There are so many Twitter apps, I've gone through most of them, perhaps some other tweeple can help?

I'm looking for an app that has a few of the functions of twidroid (I'm amazed few other devs have these features)

-Runs in background, starts automatically on boot. -- Very few seem to do this, which seems odd to me when they offer notification alerts but don't offer the ability to have the app start on it's own and run in the background. What's the point of background notifications if the app has to be started manually?

-Notifications show tweets. It's nice to know i have tweets, but i'd like to read them as notifications rather than opening the app.

-Show Sent DMs. This is the lowest priority, but something overlooked. I can see my own status updates in just about every app, but for some reason I can't see my sent DMs. A pop up that tells me it's sent is great, but I'd rather just see the DM itself.

6. bigonroad

bigonroad Lurker
    None

Nov 22, 2009
    Many things.
    Sheffield, UK
    Swift is my favourite. Might not have those options - but really responsive to feedback. Uploading videos too. Much more background than twidroid.

Just great so far!

7. ceedee

ceedee Member
    None

Oct 30, 2009
    Bath, UK
    Is Twidroid Pro (which doesn't seem to be available for the Pulse) the only app that supports multiple user accounts?

tia

8. kassdog

kassdog Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    I like swift but it is slow to load new tweets.

9. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member
    None

+1 to Swift. I bought Twidroid Pro when I got my Droid after using the lite version on another phone but Swift is a much better app.

10. tsaunders

tsaunders Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2009
  11. sekrit

sekrit Newbie
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    Wow... thanks for this! I found every Twitter app I tried sub par, until I tried Seesmic. It's absolutely brilliant! :]

12. tsaunders

tsaunders Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    NP!

I am going to try it out today.

There is also Swift.

13. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member
    None

14. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    There have also been a lot of changes to the Twitter API itself. For example, from the main twitter site from my computer, I have a new (in Beta) way of retweeting that is a lot handier than before. Then there are the lists, trends, and more to come....

Almost tempted to see if they'll make a mobile version of the website like Facebook's Torch.....

15. lvlln

lvlln Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Wow, tried both Seesmic and Swift, can't decide which one I like better. Either way, they're both much better than Twidroid.

16. silverton

silverton Lurker
    None

Yep!