• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Twitter app no longer works after update

Wkdside1ac

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
Please help!
After I done the new Android update nougat 7.1.1 my twitter app no longer works. The error message is always "hmm something went wrong, cannot retrieve tweets at this time please try again later" this has been going on for about 3 weeks. I've deleted the app and reinstalled again, cleared cache, force stopped. I've checked all the settings to ensure it can connect to WiFi or 4G. I'm completely stuck! I work with mobile phones everyday and this really has me confused. HELP!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170715-102330.png
    Screenshot_20170715-102330.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,434
Lucky you. :)
In addition to the same error message as outlined by @Wkdside1ac I also get the log in/sign up message if I momentarily switch to another app then switch back to Twitter official app. I just tried all the steps again and getting the same error message as the screenshot posted at the top of this thread.
I can get by with Plume/Hootsuite but I liked the official Twitter app.
At this point my problem is not just with the app but with Twitter support. My original email was sent on July 8th and I've tried Tweeting @ TwitterSupport several times since.

Reactions: Někdo
Upvote 0
Wkdside1ac,
Exactly the same problem here with Xperia Z5 Premium. Hasn't been working for weeks now. Tried everything short of phone factory reset.. (same as you)
In my experience, the only way to get support for Google Play apps is to give them a juicy 1 star review. I did and so did about a dozen of other Xperia users in past few days.. I suggest you join us ;-)
Like WaxieBanjo I won't go for a workaround, won't flash or factory reset my phone because of a lousy app..

Reactions: honeycakes
Upvote 0
They may not fix it for just one (brand/type) phone, which seems to be the case here. Not that it matters but I've recently run into a similar issue (for a friend) with the Verizon messenger app, it doesn't work for the Moto G4 and they don't care/aren't going to fix it.

Anyway, @pSychedelicRobot, have you tried a different Twitter client/app? There are a lot out there, I use Tweetings and think it's much, much better than the official Twitter app.

Upvote 0
They may not fix it for just one (brand/type) phone, which seems to be the case here. Not that it matters but I've recently run into a similar issue (for a friend) with the Verizon messenger app, it doesn't work for the Moto G4 and they don't care/aren't going to fix it.

Anyway, @pSychedelicRobot, have you tried a different Twitter client/app? There are a lot out there, I use Tweetings and think it's much, much better than the official Twitter app.

I have tried a few but haven't found one 1 I like. I will try Tweetings. Thanks

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
Please help!
After I done the new Android update nougat 7.1.1 my twitter app no longer works. The error message is always "hmm something went wrong, cannot retrieve tweets at this time please try again later" this has been going on for about 3 weeks. I've deleted the app and reinstalled again, cleared cache, force stopped. I've checked all the settings to ensure it can connect to WiFi or 4G. I'm completely stuck! I work with mobile phones everyday and this really has me confused. HELP!
I have just installed the latest update for twitter 03 October 2017 it's still broken on my HTC U11 Android 7.1.1. Seems they have hit something very wrong.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones