• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Twitter Lists - Twitter n00B

mpw

Android Expert
Jan 1, 2010
the past
If I put somebody on a list in Twitter, can they, or anybody, see/tell?

Also, if I reply to somebody's tweet; how can they tell which of their tweets I'm replying to? is that obvious, or do I have to RT & does the RT take from my characters with which to add my reply?

If you want to direct them to what your replying too you should RT. RT does use your characters so sometimes you need to shorten them. Since twitter is all about updates as soon as they happen, usually if you just reply to someone immediately they understand your replying to what they just tweeted.

Lists are just things people make to group a bunch of people like I follow and am a part of a list of people who are Blackhawks fans. So anyone who follows the list or views the list will be able to see everything I ever tweet as well as everything anyone that is a part of this list tweets.

Upvote 0
If I put somebody on a list in Twitter, can they, or anybody, see/tell?

Also, if I reply to somebody's tweet; how can they tell which of their tweets I'm replying to? is that obvious, or do I have to RT & does the RT take from my characters with which to add my reply?

If you want to direct them to what your replying too you should RT. RT does use your characters so sometimes you need to shorten them. Since twitter is all about updates as soon as they happen, usually if you just reply to someone immediately they understand your replying to what they just tweeted.

Lists are just things people make to group a bunch of people like I follow and am a part of a list of people who are Blackhawks fans. So anyone who follows the list or views the list will be able to see everything I ever tweet as well as everything anyone that is a part of this list tweets.

@mpw:

If you put someone in a list, they can see that they have been listed by you and the name of the list you have put them into.

Under you own username, in the top right of the web page, there are 3 sets of links:
  1. following, which lists who you are following
  2. followers, which lists who is following you
  3. listed, which lists the lists that your username has been added to by other users.

Every user has the same links on the web page, and some of the 3rd party apps also support these info links as well. Therefore, if you follow a person, kewl, then you are in their followers list. If you add a person to one of your own lists, then that info will show in their listed link.

When you reply to someone, underneath your tweet you'll see the words:

"{time} ago via {format} in reply to {username}, where:

1. {time} is the the amount of time ago that you replied (this is a clickable link, which takes you to your tweet that you are looking at - so you can post it as a link elsewhere - like so: Twitter / Chris Boyd: UK Tax debacle becomes tar ...
  2. {format} is the way the reply was posted - if using the Twitter web page, it will say web, if using an application it will usually refer to that application - such as Twitter for Android.
  3. {username} is the user's post that you are replying to (This is a clickable link, and if you click on it it takes you to the tweet that your replied to - and yes, this can also be posted as a link elsewhere just like above.

As Vegas said, lists are just collections of 'twerps/tweeps' (or whatever you want to call them) - basically, people that you follow. I have 20 different lists, including things like Android and related, M$ and related, Human Rights, Software developers, etc.

You don't have to list people, and one person can be in more than one list (all of the ROM devs go into both Software devs and Android and related lists for me, for example).

As for Retweeting (RTing) - re-tweet is not a reply, it is Twitter's version of a quotation. The old method was to use RT {username} followed by their tweet, which allowed you to append your own answer to the tweet (or pre-pend, or even insert in the middle somewhere). The new native RT doesn't allow for the addition of comments, but also makes it easier to re-tweet a large tweet without losing any of the content.

What Vegas suggested can be done, b/c if you RT and then reply then the user may see both simultaneously - but with the new native RT their post may not move back up in the timeline to right before / after your own reply to them, b/c of the aforementioned links underneath showing which post you reply to. Since the liks exist there anyway, the RT is also redundant.

However, if the person is using a 3rd party app, and particularly a very basic one, then they may not be able to easily access the post you replied to.

My solution is to reply to them and add an RE: {message} to the beginning of my tweet, reminding them of what they tweeted about earlier, where {message} could be a one or two word description of their tweet.

For example, if PaperGhost posts a new tweet about being disappointed about Mafia II game 9 hours ago, I would do my reply as follows:

"@paperghost re: Mafia - sorry to hear that you didn't like it dude - while the gameply is basic, I still and enjoying it."

Even then, though, it is really unnecessary, as the links below my tweet will direct him to the tweet he made.

HTH

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones