1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Twitter notification after word filter

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Mtihc, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Mtihc

Mtihc Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    I'm looking for a particular solution. Maybe it already exists.

I want to receive notifications about Tweets from a certain user. But only when the Tweet contains certain words.

I could use it get notifications of live shows. I would simply have to enter a username and some keywords, like... live, show, EST
    That way it automatically ignores all the tweets that I'm probably not interested in.

Hashtags are probably not sufficient, unless all the tweets I want to filter out have a special hashtag. But that's not going to happen.

Is there an existing solution I don't know of?
    How would I accomplish this? Can I hook into the Twitter app. Or Twitter API.
    All ideas are welcome.

Advertisement

2. kimballrobinson

None

May 1, 2014
    I am also looking for the same kind of thing. In my case, I want traffic reports from a specific user for specific locations, and for news of a specific type.

3. kimballrobinson

None

May 1, 2014
    My intended solution is this: in twitter, enable SMS notifications for new posts where enabled, then enable sms notifications for a particular user. Then, use an app like Tasker to detect new text messages from Twitter containing the text filters you care about--and to read them ("Say"). All other messages it can mark as read, or even delete. Once I get that working, I might think about setting it to queue up messages to "Say" into an array, until I get in my car (bluetooth detected). It could then read the array backwards. That way I can get traffic condition notifications from the last half hour while I set out on my drive home.

It's complicated to set up, but I think it will be the best approach. If there were an app that did all this, I would use it. If I had the time, I would love to program an app like this myself. Oh well.

4. jamessmarr

jamessmarr Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2014
    I have seen several requests on the web for this type of solution. If you are still interested message me and I can see what I can come up with.

5. nkarasch

nkarasch Newbie
    None

Mar 5, 2012
    I've experimented with the NotificationListenerService a bit. Pulling incoming notifications apart is possible but I didn't figure out how to cancel specific notifications.

The NotificationListenerService cancelAllNotifications() function works as you would expect. Its cancelNotification(String, String, int) function requires the package name, the tag, and the id. The tag and id are specified by the app that sent the notification and I don't see a way to retrieve them.

Anyone else looked into this?

6. wintermute81

wintermute81 Lurker
    None

Aug 28, 2014
    Hey,

im using the App "Cloud Agent" for Android. It just looks for tweets with the "word" you looking for. Give it a try :)