1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Twitter problem

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by MoodyBlues, Dec 25, 2018.

1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

For the past few weeks, and on two different phones, from the current Twitter app I choose Settings and Privacy > Notifications > Push notifications, and this is what I get:

Screenshot_20181225-142742.png

One phone is brand new. I installed Twitter on it and, initially, could access its notification settings. But within a day or two, I got the above. I deleted its cache and data, uninstalled and reinstalled the app. That worked...ONCE, then I was back to the above.

I don't want to lose data and constantly uninstall/reinstall Twitter on two phones. Has anyone else had and solved this problem?

PS I'm not asking Twitter for help because, well, honestly...they suck! :rolleyes:

ETA: I'm not receiving any Twitter notifications except when I send a tweet. Then the little Twitter bird appears momentarily in my status bar. But NO OTHER alerts are appearing.

#1 MoodyBlues, Dec 25, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Have you tried using a different email and username with Twitter?

MoodyBlues likes this.
  3. svim

svim Extreme Android User

You wrote that you've been using the Settings menu in the actual Twitter app but have you also checked the app's settings in the your phone's Settings menu? Go to Settings >> Apps, find the Twitter app listing and open it, then check the Permissions and the Notifications settings. If one contradicts the other in some way, in this instance I don't know if the Android OS 'Settings' or the Twitter app 'Settings' get precedence over the other.

Dannydet and MoodyBlues like this.
  4. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Double check everything as suggested but Twitter did something recently and I'm not happy! I use Tweetings and do get notifications from both (2 Twitter accounts even) so that is working. What they broke is the API for trends, they aren't updating on third party apps. Grrr

Anyway, notifications are working for me.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  5. MoodyBlues

I have multiple accounts, each with its own email address. They're all doing this.

6. MoodyBlues

Thanks. I failed to mention I'd already checked its system settings, and there's nothing there contradicting the app's settings.

I also forgot to say--and I'm going to add this to my OP--I'm not receiving any Twitter notifications except when I send a tweet. Then the little Twitter bird appears momentarily in my status bar. But NO OTHER alerts are appearing.

7. MoodyBlues

I hate it when they do that! Several years ago I had written a Linux script, which used curl, that let me tweet from a command line. It was super handy and I used it all the time...until Twitter changed something in its API, which broke it. :(

Interesting. I wonder why they're screwed up for me--on two phones!

Clementine_3 likes this.
  8. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Because Twitter :rolleyes:

MoodyBlues likes this.
  9. svim

svim Extreme Android User

This is a very conditional suggestion as it only applies to some phone models.
    There's a 'System UI Tuner' option that if it is available on your phone, once enabled gets added to the Settings menu.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/270568/ho...i-tuner”-for-access-to-experimental-features/
    In it there's a Other >> Power Notification Controls option that lists six different levels of notifications (see screen shot). If you turn it on it modifies the Notifications section in your apps.
    PowerNotificationsControl.jpg

MoodyBlues likes this.
  10. MoodyBlues

Thank you. I already had System UI Tuner installed. However, I don't recall checking it for this issue. So I just did...and it has no 'Other' option as in your post. It only has two entries:

Screenshot_20181225-204855.png

neither of which contains anything remotely resembling yours. The phone it's on is a new Moto Z² Force Edition running Oreo 8.0.0.