• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Two different screens for the Stylo?

Terry15

Nov 15, 2015
I've seen some references in some threads about the Stylo being manufactured with 2 different screens. What is this about? Do these differences impact battery life? Rooting? Image fidelity?

I ask because I have 2 Stylos. One was purchased from Best Buy in November and appears to have been made around August or September of 2015. The second was purchased in January of this year from a seller on Amazon and it says on a label on the box that it was manufactured in November of 2015. The first one has a cooler bluer screen, while the second one has a more natural/yellow screen. The difference is subtle, but definitely there. You can tell the difference when you view the same settings screens on the two devices side by side.

I really can't say one screen is better than the other. They render photographic images differently, but only slightly. It's just a matter of preference.

So what is the difference in screens that some are talking about? I'm sure it's more than just color. Can anyone fill me in?

Reactions: daffyducknj
The first round of Stylo's have a screen made by LG, the Later ones used a cheaper screen made by another source.
So how exactly can one find out if it's an LG screen or one made by someone else? Is there a manufacturing cutoff date? Some serial number or code? An app that can show the info? How was this determined?

I'm wondering if I have one of each. Or perhaps I have two LG screens or two non-LG screens that simply display color differently.

As I said the color differences on my two screens are subtle. Otherwise, I can't see any other differences. I think both screens are equally good, and neither are over saturated which is a problem on both an LG Volt and an LG Ultimate2 that I have. It always makes people's faces look sunburned.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
So how exactly can one find out if it's an LG screen or one made by someone else? Is there a manufacturing cutoff date? Some serial number or code? An app that can show the info? How was this determined?

I'm wondering if I have one of each. Or perhaps I have two LG screens or two non-LG screens that simply display color differently.

As I said the color differences on my two screens are subtle. Otherwise, I can't see any other differences. I think both screens are equally good, and neither are over saturated which is a problem on both an LG Volt and an LG Ultimate2 that I have. It always makes people's faces look sunburned.

Well if it's Tmo/Metro one of the firm updates was to add the new screen drivers. But, I don't remember what one it was off hand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones