1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Two din droid - Gathering ideas and help

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Godstalker, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Godstalker

Godstalker Lurker
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    IT Infrastructure Architect
    Aberdeen
    Hi guys,

I've only just decided to start posting on here but it seems like the best place to get my ideas in order and look for folk who might have some ideas about a project I'm embarking on.

It's called Two Din Droid, and the aim is to create a fully viable android-based car head unit for music, media, gps, phone interaction etc. This would make use of an existing platform for running android but would include some PCBs for audio control & amplifier, power control, control interfaces etc and would try to avoid using too much 'consumer' technology (VGA interfaces for screens, USB devices etc.) in order to cut down the build cost and physical size. There will also be a need to come up with a physical chassis for mounting in, whether that's designed and made within the project or one of the commercially available 2-din chassis that take ITX etc.

It's the first thing of this scale I've tried and I'm still in the very early stages, but the more research I do the more plausible it looks.

Here's a summary of the features I'd like to see implemented:

Required features:
    -Minimum android 2.3 (Maybe move to ICS when it comes)
    -at least a 600mhz ARM cpu for responsiveness (currently looking at S3C6410 as most likely candidate)
    -Built-in touch screen (at least 800x480)
    -Customisable dashboard for car features, but full android functionality, nothing locked down.
    -Radio - At least FM, fully controllable from an android app.
    -Optical disc support (CD at least, preferably DVD - I still occasionally play CDs in my car, I'm sure other people do too.)
    -Full GPS support
    -At least 4-channel audio control (not necessarily 4 channels generated by Android - I'm looking a low-cost 4+1 i2c-controlled audio processor IC for front/back/left/right volume plus tone control and subwoofer output)
    -Standard 4x50w amplification built in, plus line outs for external amps
    -Interface for attaching to steering-wheel remote
    -Mixer app for different audio sources
    -Smart power management to minimise time between starting the engine and music playing :)
    -USB host support

Nice to haves:
    -Bluetooth slave support - for built-in hands-free / dialing etc. (this one could be difficult.)
    -Video input / display (parking cameras etc)
    -Interface capabilities for OBD/CAN-bus etc for display/logging/diagnosis of on board diagnostic data
    -AM / DAB / HD radio support.
    -Built-in GPRS/3G support
    -Wi-fi hotpot
    -General purpose interface for other control projects (lights, other stuff)

The idea would be to come up with a set of designs and a few implementations, with all designs publish freely for anyone to build. In the longer term there might be potential for kits etc - maybe even some of the Chinese head-unit manufacturers would pick up the design and use it instead of the god-awful Windows CE stuff that's currently out there. (I have one myself, hence the project)

As far as I can tell, no-one else has a project going like this, but I might have missed something - if so please let me know and I'll go help them!

I'm curious to know what you guys think of this project, whether it's worthwhile, feasible, am I wasting my time etc. Also, if you're interested in helping :)

We'll see how it goes....

-GS

Advertisement

2. Godstalker

Godstalker Lurker
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    IT Infrastructure Architect
    Aberdeen
    Oops.. Schoolboy error for mistaking one lounge for another :D