• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Two droids, two numbers suggestions needed

Brocco

Lurker
Nov 2, 2010
I have the original Droid and have had my number for 7-8 years (so a lot of people have and use it) and have been offered a company phone which would be a Droid X (which I'd really like to use), but not sure whether I want to carry two phones.
So, I'm looking for suggestions, my options as I see it are:
  • Hopefully there's some way to maintain and use two numbers on the Droid X, my personal line and the work line (I am open to Google Voice as a last resort)
  • Forward my personal line to my work line and just carry the work phone
  • Simply carry both phones (not sure about requirements about carrying the work phone after hours), not really leaning towards this solution
  • Anything you can contribute as a solution/work-around

Welcome to forums.
Depending on YOUR job and life style, work is work which starts at 8am and ends 5pm(for example). So work phone stays on your desk pretty much 7x24x365. After all they are not paying you to carry it, answer 7x24x365.
IF they insist and you are on call or something like that, Google Voice the work phone. Will allow you to track calls for billing and set up some private times, also allows you to route your work # to any phone in case you leave the work phone at work or at a restaurant.
I'd continue to carry the personal phone and make no changes to it.
Carrying 2 phones is kind of stupid now a days.

Upvote 0
Is it possible to forward the call from your number to a google voice number and use google voice on the DX? I think thats what Flahusky is suggesting. This probably will work for incomming calls, but outgoing will probably either have your google voice number or the number of your work cell.

I wish google voice would let you port numbers to it. Would make things much easer in situations like this.

Upvote 0
Carrying 2 phones is kind of stupid now a days.
Unless you want to keep the work device strictly work. I forward the work number to my personal and don't carry the work device after hours.

I wish google voice would let you port numbers to it. Would make things much easer in situations like this.
Switching's really not that hard. We did just fine for ages before there was number porting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones