• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Two Home icons merged. Pls help separate

kanonarq2012

Lurker
Jun 7, 2020
Somehow (what I did??) one of my two Android Home Screen icons: Mail or Chrome piggybacked onto another and now I have in my Home Screen an icon that shows two very small images of those icons and to open each I have to tap twice: first this piggybacked and then the necessary as the piggybacked opens then into two those separate ones. Pls help me get back to my normal Home with two separate Email and Chrome icons. All my attempts to do it myself failed.
Many thanks for attention .

Welcome to Android Forums, kanonarq2012! :)

Give us a little information and we'll help get this sorted out.

Please tell us which device you have, whether you're using its stock [original] launcher [if you don't know, then you probably are], which launcher you're using if not stock, and what your Android version is.

If you need help with any of that, just let us know!

Upvote 0
Hi @kanonarq2012, Does it look like this?

Screenshot_20200608-011552.png

If it does, tap on it and hopefully you will get this:-

Screenshot_20200608-011654.png

If you do, longpress one of the icons and drag it out of the box, onto the Home Page. The box should disappear and leave the two separate icons.

Screenshot_20200608-011720.png

If it doesn't work then do as @MoodyBlues asked.

If it has sorted it, you have accidentally created an Icon Folder which is a legitimate function which I use a lot to group together associated apps. To create a Folder you longpress one Icon and drag it on top of a second Icon and let go. You can add more Icons. On my devices the maximum Icons in a Folder is 16. You can name the Folders to indicate the contents.

Although It takes two taps to open a particular App, the huge benefit is that on any particular Home Page you can have dozens of Apps available with two taps.

So if you organise them carefully you hardly ever have to scroll from one Home Page to another.

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
MoodyBlues and tommo47
Many thanks for attention! I use Samsung tablet Galaxy S2 SM-T813 with Android 7. I do not know about stock and launcher and use the tablet as bought. When I click on the merged icon there appear in a new window two my separate icons which I can use. On this new screen there is ENTER FOLDER and a plus with ADD. I did not clearly understand your tommo47 advice. Pls explain again.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Hi @Butleg, first of all welcome to Android Forums :).

Well it depends on what you want to achieve, which is not clear to me at the moment.

It would appear that you have accidentally created a Folder which is easy to do but equally easy to undo.

Do you want to retain the Folder or return to two separate Icons?

Different devices do have different ways of reaching the same result, so it is sometimes not easy to go through the steps. Your Samsung is certainly different to my Pixel.

So it will help if you can firm up on what you want to achieve.

:)

Upvote 0
Many THANKS to All of you kind helpers. Long pressing and hauling out did Not work as the icons stubbornly returned back. But there was DISABLE and APP INFO for Chrome and DISABLE for Mail. I did disable Chrome and activated it back. Now I do have my two icons separated on Home, am very happy and much thankful for your help.
One modest wish to tell you - the WEB site of this forum could be much more friendlier and more easy to deal with.

Upvote 0
Many THANKS to All of you kind helpers.
Now I do have my two icons separated on Home, am very happy and much thankful for your help.
You're very welcome! I'm happy to hear that you're back to your normal look.
One modest wish to tell you - the WEB site of this forum could be much more friendlier and more easy to deal with.
Can you explain that a bit? What did you find difficult about using it? Suggestions and feedback are always welcome! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones