1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Two Optimus V's - one activates, one won't

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dr4sight, Sep 7, 2011.

1. dr4sight

dr4sight Well-Known Member

I can't explain this at all. Could use some fresh eyes on it.
    My LG Optimus V operates just fine from my home, activated without a problem, and shows 5 bars of strength here in the computer room.

My wife has one which we tried to activate through Virgin Mobile today. We waited the requisite 4 hours after all the MDN and MSID numbers were put in. The phone can't make or receive calls.

I then went through the procedure of troubleshooting in which I replaced the MDN and MSID with the ten "1"s, and started over.
    When I hit activate phone the counting 1 2 3 takes a minute or two and then returns the message "service is not available - error 06-07-5101".

Also on her phone there were only 1 or 2 bars of strength compared to mine even when I have one phone in each hand!

I'm sure we'll be calling VM back tomorrow but I have to wonder why two almost brand new and totally identical phones can have one functioning fine and one will not connect to the network.

Anybody?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. fenrix

fenrix Newbie

I would confirm it is the phone by having them switch the one assigned to the account,
    program it on your #. If it doesn't work the phone is likely defective.
    If it works on your account the account was not set up proper by VM.
    No surprises phones are subject to rattling vibrations on trucks, are not all
    as tough as others, are not in magnetically shielded boxes could be shipped next to a speaker and are subject to humidity, although least likely.

dr4sight likes this.
  3. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

Did you try doing this completely from their website? If so, I would give them a call and have customer service help you with it. I've been with VM for quite some time... started off with their cheapie phones and worked my way up. The Optimus V was the only one that I couldn't get to activate via their website. I had bought it late during the evening, and I twitched until the next day when I could call to get it activated lol.

dr4sight likes this.
  4. dr4sight

No, the activation was done over the phone rather than online.
    Late last night my wife and I hopped into my car and drove south about two miles. I believe the closest cell tower is in that direction. At one point her phone was able to make and receive calls.
    Then today we had to go a town that is 8 miles south of home and her cellphone reception was totally adequate.
    She called VM tech support and they did a bunch of things none of which improved her ability to make or receive calls from here at the house.
    While they mentioned a "dead pocket" in our area since Hurricane Irene came past a few weeks ago they couldn't say when or if it will pass. They also were at a loss to explain why my identical phone can make and receive calls from the house.
    For now I think we'll wait a few weeks to see if this outage pocket clears. If it does not it might have to be sayonara to Virgin Mobile, at least for her.

5. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

As a last ditch effort, Id give this a try just in case. You never know, it can't hurt!

6. dr4sight

Thought I would let you know what ended up happening.
    My wife called VM tech support and they tried a bunch of things that at the time didn't help.
    They told her (and I doubted the veracity at the time) that there was a "pocket outage" in our local area.
    Of course, that doesn't explain why my same model phone did work acceptably.
    But sure enough two days later, out of the blue, her phone started working fine here at home. She could make calls, receive calls, check voicemail.

At her local gym some woman told her that she'd been having phone reception problems for a few weeks and those problems went away the same day as my wife's did.

So the problem seems solved even though I have no idea what solved it.

Thanks for the answers everyone.

LG Optimus V Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews