1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Two problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SpecV85, Dec 6, 2013.

1. SpecV85

SpecV85 Lurker

Hello! I looked for solutions to these problems I'm having but haven't found anything relevant. I actually just got this phone new in October after I killed my LG Optimus Slider. I was frustrated with how slow the Optimus was, but still wanted the $25 per month plan from Virgin Mobile. I tried using CM7 when I first got the phone, but had some problems and went back to the stock ROM. I'm not sure what information will be necessary so I'll just put up some stuff: Android Version 2.2.2 Baseband Version PR5 Kernel version Apps_2.6.32.9-perf Software version 1010_2_039 I also have 622MB available for internal storage if that matters. Most of the time I have WiFi and 3G disabled, and Lookout mobile security running at all times. (I'm paranoid, but lazy about it. I read reviews a long time ago that said Lookout was good, but I don't know if it's still relevant.)

My first problem is during calls, every so often I hear a beeping noise like a number being held down if I was dialing. I'm not dialing when this happens, and if I look at the phone the number-pad isn't even on the screen. I'd have to press the button to bring it up. I remember an old phone I had with Virgin Mobile before had a feature to beep every minute of use, but I couldn't find one for the Triumph. So far I've only noticed it with long distance calls, but none of the calls I make to local numbers are very long. It might not mean anything.

The second problem I'm having is that 1/3 to 1/2 of all texts I send end up not being able to be sent. I get an notification saying "Message not sent. Select to review the message and try again." I just end up copying the contents of the text and then trying to send it in a new one. I have 3 bars for signal showing in my apartment, so that shouldn't be the problem, right? I'm at a loss for what to do.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a lot of time to work on my phone at the moment though. It's the week before finals for me. Sorry that this is so long. I just wanted to get any relevant information in here.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. thangfish

thangfish Android Expert

I suspect you are correct about the beep.
    Can't tell you how to disable it, because I haven't run stock in years.

Are the texts you have problems with strictly sms? If they are mms (contain a subject and/or attachments) they are sent via data, so data will have to be turned on.
    sms is sent over the voice connection.

3. SpecV85

SpecV85 Lurker

For the text problem it's just sms. I was aware of the data requirement after a while, so I know that's not the issue. With my old phone I don't think it required me to have my data connection on to do MMS if it didnt have a picture or something, but maybe it did that in the background if it wasn't on. It was an LG Optimus Slider. I have no way of testing that though since it broke. Is it standard for the mms protocol to always require a data connection, or is that up to the rom programer? I think I know just enough about this stuff to realize how much I really don't know.

4. thangfish

thangfish Android Expert

Yeah, mms always uses data.

when Sprint was doing tower upgrades in my area, I had texting issues (some wouldn't send, some would be received twice), so maybe that's a possibility?

5. SpecV85

SpecV85 Lurker

Kept forgetting to check back here. Well, the problem has persisted since I got the phone in October. I visited my parents over the holidays and it happened there too. Would trying a different ROM again make a difference?

6. thangfish

thangfish Android Expert

I don't know, hell it wouldn't make it any worse anyway (assuming some network issue). I expect you would find the whole experience to be better.

Motorola Triumph Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews