1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Two questions 1. Galaxy s4 2. Galaxy s6

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by LGallyandriods, Jan 27, 2016.

1. LGallyandriods

Hello, and thanks.

My s6 question is more pressing so I will list it first......Texting.....I can adjust the size of the font in the text bubbles but the size of the font while typing a text (or speaking) is extremely small and it's difficult to edit or insert something.

My s4 question....the s4 was the best phone I ever owned.....no question, that is until Android forced a system upgrade to 5.0.1 to it. Since then it has been a piece of junk. Verizon customer support and tech support, in their infinite wisdom, could not help and so suggested a factory reset. Having dealt with Verizon support many times before, I was unwilling to do this so I went and bought the s6 at Best Buy. There were two "Samsung" reps at Best Buy and they both said that a factory reset would not help because the s4 is not capable of properly running 5.0.1. Anyone have experience with this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Can't comment on S6 but I had a Verizon S4 that I didn't have any problems on 5.0. I always do a factory reset on my phones after a large update and have never had issues with updated system.

3. Pugs1957

Pugs1957 Guest

I have an S6 Edge and an S4.
    You can increase font size by using the volume up key. This will increase the text in the bubbles and text being typed.
    My S4 is running 5.0.1 and works perfectly. Rather than a reset try clearing system cache first

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

The problem with an in-place upgrade from 4.x to 5.x is that Lollipop changed the runtime compiler from a Dalvik virtual machine to ART (Android Run Time). This is a huge change and while, in theory, ART should take over and ignore Dalvik, it doesn't completely. The quick test would be to clear your Dalvik cache, but, unfortunately, without being rooted and having a custom recovery, the only way to do this is perform a factory reset.

Jfalls63 and Slug like this.
  5. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

If that were the case then Samsung would not have released 5.0.1 for the S4. These so-called reps were talking out of their USB ports. ;)

lunatic59 and Jfalls63 like this.