• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Two questions about the X

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
1. Is the microsd behind the battery, or is it hot swappable?

2. How is the 8gb flash mem allocated? It can be done in several ways:

a. External memory (like an 8gb microsd card)
b. All flash memory for apps
c. Allocated for apps and external memory. This is how the Inc is set up. 748mb for apps and 6.6gb for media.

I can't imagine that you could possibly need 8gb for just apps, I had more then I could ever use on my iPhone and my Droid and never even used 500mb. If it can't be used for media that is a negative for me.

I think the Inc has it "perfectly". They allocated 748mb for apps and the rest for media.

That said, a truly perfect method would be a user control slider option for app and media space allocation. That would rock.

Upvote 0
I think the Inc has it "perfectly". They allocated 748mb for apps and the rest for media.

That said, a truly perfect method would be a user control slider option for app and media space allocation. That would rock.

from what I understand, the 8gb is shared between user downloaded apps and system apps. I think the "missing" 1.5gb is the system partition.

also the space isn't just for apps, but also application data. so your apps will cache to this partition as well. No more crazy folders showing up on your sd card when you dl a new app!

Upvote 0
Yeah, I saw in the unboxing video that it is next to the battery, but the battery prevents you from being able to pull the card out.

Yes, that's the way it looks to me too. The card is not behind the battery, but you have to remove the battery first in order to remove and/or replace the micro SD memory card. So it is NOT hot swappable. Also, I saw the picture of the memory card in the Droid X launch package, and it shows the card as a class 2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones