1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Two questions after the major update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rcyphermd, Aug 9, 2018.

1. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

After the major update, I have two questions. Where is the battery saving setting for location setting? Previously I could limit it to Wi-Fi and cell towers and save battery. I don't see that as an option..

Also I used to be able to have one button to close all recent apps. I don't see that now. Is there another way to do that other than manually?

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Do you have the little navigation "pill" or the old buttons? With the pill, you swipe up once to get the recent list and you can swipe (up) them away one by one or swipe right to the end of the list until you get the clear all option.

Hadron, shalemail and codesplice like this.
  3. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

That worked, thanks.
    What about the previous location setting that limited it to wifi and cell towers to save battery. I do not see that since the update

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Sorry, that one I can't help with. I don't see much mention of it anywhere. My guess is that Google has rolled it into it's new intelligent battery management paradigm. But, that's just a guess.

5. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

It's seriously buried in settings.
    Settings/Google/location/Google location accuracy, turn that off for phone/GPS only. At least that's where I found it on my Essential, I'm assuming it's the same.

Attached Files:

shalemail and lunatic59 like this.
  6. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

That option for accuracy not available on the pixel, at least that I can find

7. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

How about settings/security & location/location/advanced/google location accuracy. Just found it there too??

shalemail likes this.
  8. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

You don't really get manual control over what interfaces (wifi, cell, GPS hardware) the phone will use to get location information anymore. You can choose to use Google's enhanced location services (as mentioned by @Clementine_3 above) but you can't force it to use only wifi and cell towers and never the GPS chip.

(That said, it still won't use GPS unless an application requests a very precise location. It will always use the more power-friendly methods first.)

9. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

It is not there in pixel 2 xl either

10. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert

Yes, yes it is. I just looked (Pixel 2 XL on P) and it sure is. Follow her directions and you will find it.

11. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

I do not have that screen. I have a verizon Pixel 2 xl. Perhaps VZ removed it?

12. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert

I had the VZW Pixel one, it is (as are all - Pixels and Pixel 2's) identical in every way except the Google version has unlockable bootloader. It's there.

13. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

I sure can't find it !

14. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

Okay I found it! When you turn it off it actually turns everything off but the GPS! I would think the GPS uses the most battery

shalemail likes this.
  15. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

When it's in use. But wireless location is used by more apps and more frequently, whereas GPS is only used when an app with fine location permission uses it.

Back in 2010 I experimented with this and found no impact on battery life from leaving GPS on permanently (wireless location off) compared with location off completely.

codesplice likes this.

Google Pixel 2 XL Forum

The Google Pixel 2 XL release date was October 2017. Features and Specs include a 6.0" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 835 processor, and 3520mAh battery.

October 2017
Release Date
Reviews