• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root TWRP and CM7

I would hardly call not being able to use an add on feature that's convenient "unstable", but to each his own. You can still get to recovery by powering off and using vol -/+ and power to get to recovery or use adb. Plus rbox has already said he's looking into a fix for the power menu.

I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on twrp recovery yet, but I'll give it some time to grow on me before making a decision

Upvote 0
Stable to me means all features work under normal circumstances--and I don't think they are there yet. Really, it sounds like it works freaking great for how long it has been in general release...which is really beta testing in this small world.

Clockwork mod is on release 3 and is a three dot product (which may not mean much in such a limited milieu), so obviously they have had their share of issues. (Edit: I have only been around here for a month so my historical perspective is limited.)

Upvote 0
I would hardly call not being able to use an add on feature that's convenient "unstable", but to each his own. You can still get to recovery by powering off and using vol -/+ and power to get to recovery or use adb. Plus rbox has already said he's looking into a fix for the power menu.
i agree,unstable is not restoring or flashing properly. its still workin great for me. i had the same issue as work when i first flashed it,but mine was using the "reboot recovery" option within the recovery. i rebooted recovery 3 times or so and then it hung. since i was by the puter,i plugged it in and adb saw it,so i did adb reboot recovery and it came right back. so even tho it was hung on the splash screen,the phone wasnt frozen to the point it needed a battery pull.

i only had that prollem that time,its been fine since,and the reboot/recovery option from power down has worked for me on cm7 and a5opth3ory.

not tryin to convince everyone to jump ship,if your comfortable on clockwork stay there for a while,just reporing my experiences. :)

worm,i havent read past page 5 or 6... has anyone mentioned the splash freeze on rootz?

Upvote 0
Stable to me means all features work under normal circumstances--and I don't think they are there yet. Really, it sounds like it works freaking great for how long it has been in general release...which is really beta testing in this small world.

Clockwork mod is on release 3 and is a three dot product (which may not mean much in such a limited milieu), so obviously they have had their share of issues. (Edit: I have only been around here for a month so my historical perspective is limited.)

i just wanted to point out that there is some degree of luck in the fact that clockwork works so good for us. im not criticizing koush,since there is no way i could do a better job providing recoveries for many different phones i dont even own.

but clockwork has had its share of issues,most notably it it destroyed the partitions with bad flashes and left a bunch of bricked eris's back in the day,and even more recently trying to restore a backup sent the charge into an almost unrecoverable bootloop :eek:

having started my journey in rooted phones in eris land,ive always been a little leery of clockwork,and pretty much ALWAYS used alternate recoveries when available.(amon on my inc,raidzero on my OG droid)

Upvote 0
Splash screen is being addressed, a few of us have had it. I did that batt pull but rhcp said that I could have done adb. It will be fixed. I did a nandroid with it yesterday after flashing back to bamf for gps, although it was the cm7 build that was borked. Nonetheless the restore worked just fine. I'd like to see some things added but I'll save it for the rootz thread. All in all, not bad. I like the reboot after successful flash as well as the single, wipe cache and dalvik option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones