• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Txt message problems and slow phone

charlesd81

Lurker
May 8, 2010
I recently got my wife an LG Ally because her add-on line was ready to upgrade and she wanted to try something new. She had a BB Curve before and didn't want to go for the free ugprade with the new Curve. I've had an HTC Incredible and for the most part love it. I knew that the LG Ally wasn't as "powerful" as the HTC Incredible. My wife told me today that her Ally sometimes won't send txt messages or will send more than one of the same txt message. She also complained about it being slow. What can I do to get rid of this problem for her? I was considering running the Task Killer although I know Android has its own way of managing memory and running applications so I didn't know if running Task Killer would actually do anything. I think its getting to the point where she is getting frustrated with the phone and I may have to return it, if it is even possible, after her having it just a few days. Any thoughts?

I recently got my wife an LG Ally because her add-on line was ready to upgrade and she wanted to try something new. She had a BB Curve before and didn't want to go for the free ugprade with the new Curve. I've had an HTC Incredible and for the most part love it. I knew that the LG Ally wasn't as "powerful" as the HTC Incredible. My wife told me today that her Ally sometimes won't send txt messages or will send more than one of the same txt message. She also complained about it being slow. What can I do to get rid of this problem for her? I was considering running the Task Killer although I know Android has its own way of managing memory and running applications so I didn't know if running Task Killer would actually do anything. I think its getting to the point where she is getting frustrated with the phone and I may have to return it, if it is even possible, after her having it just a few days. Any thoughts?

You can return the phone if you're within the 30 day period. No questions asked.
So if you're wife isn't happy with the phone, i would definately return it.

As alreday mentioned, rooting definately helps, but if it's not your phone, maybe it's not a good idea.
Your wife probably wont be too happy about you messing with her phone so much.

Here's another tip that helps:
http://androidforums.com/lg-ally/186787-performance-boost-turn-off-animations.html

Upvote 0
You can try rooting it and installing a custom rom and new kernels that help speed up the phone. It make the phone "tolerable" but no amount of software will make up for the fact that the ally is an underpowered device.

If you are interested in rooting and installing rom's check out this site made by member savoxis

Android Ally

DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL YOUR 30 DAY WARRENTY IS UP!

Once it is up this would be your best route as you can not get your money back.

Upvote 0
That's a little harsh... there are easy-to-follow tutorials to restore to stock in the event he can't get happy with it even through mods...

Even in the event it is still possible for him to restore to stock there is going to be traces of a custom rom I would recommend using money back guarentee before rooting and voiding ur warrenty all together

Upvote 0
Even in the event it is still possible for him to restore to stock there is going to be traces of a custom rom I would recommend using money back guarentee before rooting and voiding ur warrenty all together

I've yet to meet a verizon rep that can detect those traces.
I've returned two phones for warranty swaps that were rooted(htc eris). One was very obvious that it was rooted.
Sense had been completely removed by the rom. The verizon rep played with it to confirm the trackball wasn't working. Then he quickly went to get me a replacement.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

I'm unconvinced, but I guess it's not a bad idea to be cautious... just, if it was me, I'd rather try everything I can before having to pay restocking and still buy another phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones