• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

txtrack?

nims

Jan 21, 2009
Hey everyone. New to the forum, but had the phone for a while. I just have one quick question for those who have used txtrack, to back up sms. How long is "normal" backing up time?

I have around 4 or 5 threads, 3 of which the count is more than 200 but less than 400, and one with 977 texts in it. Im extracting now, and its been saying extracting for the past ten minutes. I understand I have a handful of texts here, but is this normal, or is it stuck on that screen? even though i do see the little "loading" circular thing rotationg informing me that it is working on it. its creeping up on 15 minutes now. So if any one used it and have had similar behaviour with that many messages, any help would be appreciated.

when i backup about ~500-700 messages it takes about 5 minutes. Im sure backing up ~2000 messages taking that long is normal. I've noticed it takes longer writing html than the other 2 formats as well

you mean 500-700 totaling all threads? or is that how much you have in each thread?

if the former, still it should not take me 20 mins. I exited out of it after 20 mins. i uninstalled and installed again. im extracting again now. hopefully itll go right this time. Its been 5 mins.

Upvote 0
total of all threads. i make a habit as soon as any thread reaches 200 messages to extract it, and then upload to my ftp server. I've got porlly 10~15 backups already.

What you have to remember is that the app has to read every single message and then write a similar output. Writing the files im sure takes alot of gusto. I know when deleting messages it can take a long time. It just an inense if not more so since it has to read from the phone and then rewrite it to the flash card. This time try letting it go longer.

Upvote 0
well, i guess its safe to say that this app is not for me. I guess 8 hours is a little too much for it to extract and save. I closed out of it after 8 hours and 27 mins. It sucks but i guess i have to delete my texts now, unless by divine intervention google announces a patch that somehow solves this sms freezeup due to fat threads, and we all know thats not happening, which takes me back to my sad realization; i have to delete my inbox.

Upvote 0
Maybe we could find a Dev that could code up an app to forward an entire thread directly to our gmail through the default e-mail settings on the phone???

I wanted to keep a huge thread between myself and my ex for some legal reasons and couldn't which sucked. Kinda hard to present your cell to the courts for evidence......

Upvote 0
Maybe we could find a Dev that could code up an app to forward an entire thread directly to our gmail through the default e-mail settings on the phone???

I wanted to keep a huge thread between myself and my ex for some legal reasons and couldn't which sucked. Kinda hard to present your cell to the courts for evidence......

well for legal matters, yes i do agree..if there was an option to email. What i can not get over though, is the fact that it did not occur to the android developers that this is on high priority. The device is supposed to take IM and sms to another level with its integration of gtalk, gmail, and your phone number. i understand that its not JUST texting, that the phone provides, but clearly they had texting in their minds when they designed the phone, and the threading UI shows that. did it not occur to them to spend a little bit more time on that? potential problems? test it? debug? lets hope the coming update deals with that somehow, or acknowledges these failures. my old POS nokia has 2300 in the inbox right now and runs as smooth as a bavarian lagar.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones