• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Typing in Japanese, Chinese and Korean on Samsung Galaxy S III

Watashii

Lurker
Aug 20, 2012
Hi guys!!
I'm thinking about buying a Samsung Galaxy S III next month... I'm used to the iOS, but i kinda like decided to change a little, LOL.
So, in the iOS, it's easy to change the keyboard and write in other languages.... I usually write in japanese and chinese. But using my friend's Galaxy S II, I couldn't find a way to type in japanese or chinese....
How can I type in these languages on the Galaxy S III?
Does it at least show the characters?
I'm sorry if it's a stupid question, hehe...
Thank you guys!!

Hi guys!!
I'm thinking about buying a Samsung Galaxy S III next month... I'm used to the iOS, but i kinda like decided to change a little, LOL.
So, in the iOS, it's easy to change the keyboard and write in other languages.... I usually write in japanese and chinese. But using my friend's Galaxy S II, I couldn't find a way to type in japanese or chinese....
How can I type in these languages on the Galaxy S III?
Does it at least show the characters?
I'm sorry if it's a stupid question, hehe...
Thank you guys!!

i installed an app called gPen which enables me to write chinese.
http://www.appbrain.com/app/gpen-im...64;入法)/net.hciilab.scutgPen.IME

Upvote 0
I've been using Swype.
Swype | Text Input for Screens
They recently added proper Japanese support and it's got romaji and handwriting input. the handwriting recognition is excellent, provided you respect the number of strokes. They still need to iron out a few kinks but it's really good. It's also very easy to switch languages. I type in Italian, English and Japanese and Swype is all I use.

Other than that I've used Simeji in the past on my HTC Desire and that has most generic Japanese input options (i.e. stuff you'd find on a japanese phone). I've heard good things about ATOK as well. both of these you can find on the Play store.

Of course, the S3 also has a "default" Japanese setting which you can access by changing your locale to Japan in settings > language and input > language but you probably don't want to do that every time if you use multiple languages.

On a side note, I've found the S3 support for Japanese kanji is pretty ugly. some kanji such as 刃 or 直 show up in their Chinese form (直 has a vertical line on the left side in Japanese, while 刃 has the last stroke crossing the second one, not parallel). You can correct this by selecting a custom font but most proper Japanese fonts have ugly Latin characters, at least the ones I have tried.
Oh, and I see they are showing up in the wrong form on Chrome as well, this must be a Google issue.
Anyone know a way around this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones