• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Typing in Web Fields Is Hellish

Flaspeneer

Sep 5, 2010
Froyo or not, here's my main complaint about the Epic: It won't let you see the entire text field on a web page when you're using the physical keyboard; moving the cursor within text to the point at which it's in the correct position *and* visible can be hellish. Right now, for example: Can't see what I'm typing and have no idea whether it's correct. Resizing doesn't work either: the box always jumps back to the larger size, and that happens in every browser I've tried.

Solutions, anyone?

Has no one else noticed this or been frustrated by it? If there's a settings change that resolves the issue, then what is it?

Many of us chose the Epic over the Evo primarily because of the keyboard. If its functionality is compromised when typing on web pages, then that strikes me as a major issue.

Upvote 0
Has no one else noticed this or been frustrated by it? If there's a settings change that resolves the issue, then what is it?

Many of us chose the Epic over the Evo primarily because of the keyboard. If its functionality is compromised when typing on web pages, then that strikes me as a major issue.

I use xscope, and it doesn't appear to zoom in on the text entry boxes, but I'm not 100% sure, since most of the websites I have visited are mobile sites and thus the entry boxes are a bit big to begin with. Have you tried xscope? It's pretty nice.

-- robert

Upvote 0
Kelmar: I'll try the app if it doesn't run constantly in the background after being killed or blitzkrieg me with ads (as most independent apps do). However, that doesn't solve the problem when typing in every other text field on the web.

Robert: I do use xscope. In fact, xscope was the browser I used to type the previous two posts. It does seem to pose fewer issues than the stock browser or Dolphin. But it doesn't solve this issue.

Try zooming out while you have a text field open: If this is a common issue, then the Epic won't let you. You'll see the text and window get smaller, but then they'll snap back unless you've clicked out of the text field. Same thing when you try to get to the text you're typing (if the entry's more than one line) and want to slide that part of the window into view; you'll often get bounced to where you were or, in some cases, to a completely different part of the page.

I've also tried shrinking the page before entering text, but it seems always to bounce back to the same default size.

If I use touchwiz instead, the virtual keyboard covers the last few lines of what I'm typing and the only way to reveal them is to go to the physical keyboard and deal with the original viewing problem. The only way to see the whole text is to click out of the window, shrink it, find my typos or solecisms and then cursor there character by character, counting the steps until I'm in the right place. Ridiculous, don't you think?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones