• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

U.S. carriers - scheduled dates for 3G shutdown

It really sucks, because 3G works so well.
It is better than 4G in under covered areas.

5G totally sucks, and is a total loss as far as I can see.

I still remember when analog 900mhz was around, and it worked really well, too.

Won't be long before they have us all doing like on Green Acres, where you have to climb up a pole to get a signal.

Reactions: Trom and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
It really sucks, because 3G works so well.
It is better than 4G in under covered areas.

5G totally sucks, and is a total loss as far as I can see.

I still remember when analog 900mhz was around, and it worked really well, too.

Won't be long before they have us all doing like on Green Acres, where you have to climb up a pole to get a signal.
when i had Sprint, my 4G coverage sucked in LA so i had to default to 3G on most occasions and it was terrible. it sucked my battery dry always constantly searching for a stronger signal. i had to turn off data sometimes to save battery back when the Note 7 was out.

i'll take 4G any day....thank you very much. and for dessert i will have 5G when and where i can get it.

Upvote 0
When and where you can get it?

Nowhere here.

And 4G is bottom of the list for working.
Well I get 5G sporadically here in LA. Some spots are super strong, some spots it goes in and out.

And Verizon has a strong 4G network here, that I can always really on it all day for a strong signal. It also has helped in battery life as well.

Upvote 0
In the month I've been using a 5G capable phone, a Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G, I've had solid fast 5G reception all over Jinan, even on the subway trains. And the phone's battery life is good as well, not any worse than 4G I think.

I think the only time I've really struggled for 3G or 4G reception, was when I was in the Gobi Desert, near the Russian border.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I get 5G sporadically here in LA. Some spots are super strong, some spots it goes in and out.

And Verizon has a strong 4G network here, that I can always really on it all day for a strong signal. It also has helped in battery life as well.

Yeah, considering that you are in one of the most densely populated areas in the US, that does not sound too good for 5G.

Like I said, it sucks now, and it probably always will around here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones