1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General U.S. Cellular model only has 3GB of RAM!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ironass, Feb 28, 2016.

1. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    According to GSMArena's specifications for the U.S. Cellular carrier minority variant of the Galaxy S7/Edge, SM-G935R and SM-G930R,, it is particularly signalled out under the heading, "Memory", as only having 3GB of RAM instead of the normal 4GB for all other Galaxy S7/Edge models. See...

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (CDMA)

Samsung Galaxy S7 (CDMA)

I can, strangely enough, find no mention of RAM for the U.S. Cellular, SM-G935R and SM-G930R, model on the Samsung website, here and here.

If this indeed turns out to be correct, I wonder how many people have ordered this phone from U.S. Cellular, thinking that they are getting 4GB of RAM? :(

It seems the U.S. and Chinese carrier minority variants, on the Qualcomm quad core chipset, are the, "Budget", S7 models, and that would make the U.S.Cellular phone the, "Value Edition". ;)

(My thanks to KOLIO for pointing this out, here)

Advertisement

mikedt and KOLIO like this.
  2. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    Male
    The Big Apple
    Do the "lite" versions cost less or something? Otherwise, why would they do this?

3. ironass

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    I am still trying, without much success, to clarify the RAM situation with the U.S. Cellular model.

Carriers will ask Samsung to change hardware spec's to reduce the cost of each unit that they pay and consequently make more profit. For instance, a number of carriers dropped Gorilla Glass 3 from the Galaxy S4 model and kept very quiet about it. See, Gorilla Glass 3 not on all Galaxy S4's!!! As we can see, both the U.S. and China carrier minority variants have opted for the quad core, Qualcomm chipset as opposed to the rest of the world on the Exynos octa core. I'm guessing that this is because of cost as I can see no other reason.

KupKrazy and KOLIO like this.
  4. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    Male
    The Big Apple
    When you say "minority variants" do you mean that the big 4 in the US (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint) have the Exynos, but not the smaller carriers? I thought I had read that all of the US was getting the Qualcomm.

Anyway, that's interesting - sometimes I think that for Samsung to make a new production line for a "lesser" model - that it would actually cost Samsung more money to do that, and resulting in production costs being higher.

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    That must be China Unicom or China Telecom then, can't be China Mobile. They have over a billion subscribers now, in other words once sixth of the world's population are China Mobile customers. :) ...although how many of them can actually afford to buy a new Samsung S7 is another matter.

ironass likes this.
  6. ironass

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    The stock Samsung Global, worldwide, model has the octa core Exynos. The U.S. carriers, as do the Chinese, still insist on their own separate models, that are on the quad core, SnapDragon. So both these U.S. and Chinese, individual carrier models, are, "minority variants", as these are individual carrier branded models, each running separate firmware, in only 2 countries.

KOLIO and mikedt like this.
  7. ironass

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    Take a look at the new U.S.Cellular site for both the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge models, G930R4 and G935R4 that clearly show these models as having only 3GB of RAM.

Galaxy S7 Edge G935R4

[​IMG]

Galaxy S7 G930R4

[​IMG]

Enlargement

[​IMG]

It would not be the first time that carriers have altered the stock Samsung hardware spec's. See, here.

KOLIO likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.