• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

U.S. Samsung Galaxy S2 event on August 29!

If we get a Monday announcement of the standard SGSII release in the US (particularly Verizon), and Thursday's Berlin announcement is about the SGSII Plus, now with 5.3-inch screen, for Europe only, I will be pissed.

:mad:

Edit: Never mind, that news is fake. Why the heck do articles give you the entire run-down, and then at the very end they say "Disregard everything you just read"?!

I do hope, though, that the Berlin announcement isn't about a Europe-only release. Does anyone know why Samsung drags its feet in releasing to the US?

Upvote 0
This article says something about the high cost of LTE radios maybe being a factor... What if that is really it? That production of a smaller, less expensive LTE radio is in the works but not enough have been produced to put out an SGS2 yet? I would guess that VZW did pass on a 3G GS2. The technology isn't quite there yet with VZW LTE, price point, and Sammy form factor. What will eventually come to VZW will be even better than the SGS2 and conveniently won't compete directly with the Bionic. Right?....Right???

Verizon Wireless will not be carrying the Samsung Galaxy S II | DroidMatters.com

Upvote 0
This article says something about the high cost of LTE radios maybe being a factor... What if that is really it? That production of a smaller, less expensive LTE radio is in the works but not enough have been produced to put out an SGS2 yet? I would guess that VZW did pass on a 3G GS2. The technology isn't quite there yet with VZW LTE, price point, and Sammy form factor. What will eventually come to VZW will be even better than the SGS2 and conveniently won't compete directly with the Bionic. Right?....Right???

Verizon Wireless will not be carrying the Samsung Galaxy S II | DroidMatters.com

This might be true, if the SGSII was a 3G phone. But aren't the other carriers getting 4G versions? I'm not sure about that.

My sister, who works for Verizon, texted me about the SGSII being inferior to an upcoming Samsung phone on Big Red.

If she means the 4g slider, I'll be pissed.

But if the Prime is released at some point within the next two months, then it makes perfect sense on why they passed on the SGSII. But if it's not released before December, there's no logic in it.

Upvote 0
This might be true, if the SGSII was a 3G phone. But aren't the other carriers getting 4G versions? I'm not sure about that.

My sister, who works for Verizon, texted me about the SGSII being inferior to an upcoming Samsung phone on Big Red.

If she means the 4g slider, I'll be pissed.

But if the Prime is released at some point within the next two months, then it makes perfect sense on why they passed on the SGSII. But if it's not released before December, there's no logic in it.

Other carriers are getting 4G devices in their standard like HSPA+, WiMax, which are actually 3.5G and easier to implement than LTE.

I really hope what she said means something like Celox, SGSII plus, Prime in pipeline. If not, then...:eek:

Upvote 0
Weeping? No. Flabbergasted? Yes. I have never been so gasted by flabber in my life. There are only TWO reasons they would do this: (a) to give Motorola exclusivity; (b) hold off for something better.

I choose (b):

Exclusive: Verizon passes on GALAXY S II, but 'similar' Samsung phone launching soon

If they can release a Celox-like LTE device in a timely manner, they've redeemed themselves. I will NOT buy a Charge and I will definitely NOT buy a Bionic. SO this mythical, future NON-SLIDER Samsung superphone it is. My only regret is that my poor Droid, hoping for a quiet retirement in September, may have to wait until November now. We can hang :cool:

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0
Weeping? No. Flabbergasted? Yes. I have never been so gasted by flabber in my life. There are only TWO reasons they would do this: (a) to give Motorola exclusivity; (b) hold off for something better.

I choose (b):

Exclusive: Verizon passes on GALAXY S II, but 'similar' Samsung phone launching soon

If they can release a Celox-like LTE device in a timely manner, they've redeemed themselves. I will NOT buy a Charge and I will definitely NOT buy a Bionic. SO this mythical, future NON-SLIDER Samsung superphone it is. My only regret is that my poor Droid, hoping for a quiet retirement in September, may have to wait until November now. We can hang :cool:

Fingers crossed that "better" means same dual core but with LTE and Super AMOLED HD.

Upvote 0
Fingers crossed that "better" means same dual core but with LTE and Super AMOLED HD.

That would be awesome, it's just hard for me to believe they'd release something so advanced as their first dual-core w/LTE. Would expect them to milk an SGS2-alike on every carrier before trying to upsell buyers w/HD versions w/marginally faster CPU 3-6mo later.

FWIW, this "different but almost identical" thing sounds weird. I'm not hung up on identical, and we already knew it wasn't going to be called SGS2 on Verizon. So move a button or something and release the damn phone already!

Upvote 0
That would be awesome, it's just hard for me to believe they'd release something so advanced as their first dual-core w/LTE. Would expect them to milk an SGS2-alike on every carrier before trying to upsell buyers w/HD versions w/marginally faster CPU 3-6mo later.

FWIW, this "different but almost identical" thing sounds weird. I'm not hung up on identical, and we already knew it wasn't going to be called SGS2 on Verizon. So move a button or something and release the damn phone already!

Look at it this way: Verizon put out the Droid Charge months ago and it already has the same Super AMOLED Plus display at WVGA resolution found in the SGSII. It is also LTE capable. The only thing lacking is the CPU/RAM needing an upgrade. How do you make a phone with improved specs over the SGSII? It's not likely going to be more processor cores, though it could be a bump in clock speed. I think they'll need LTE as to not be a step backwards, and they're not putting an additional 1GB of RAM if it already has 1GB. All that leaves is the display size/resolution and SA HD has been leaked all over the place at this point. It seems inevitable. Probability-wise, here's what I think we can expect:

*Dual-core (Exynos or OMAP 44xx) clocked ~1.5GHz give or take
*1GB RAM
*16GB internal memory (desparately needed coming from the Fascinate/Charge)
*~4.6" Super AMOLED HD pentile display (1280x720 effective)
*LTE+CDMA
*NFC
*5MP HQ camera / 1080p video capture / 2MP FFC

There has been talk of ICS not being ready and I think if it's truly the Nexus Prime pure Android experience phone, Google won't much have a problem getting the hardware out in October running on Gingerbread to compete with the iPhone 5. They can always push out ICS, when ready, within a month or two, exclusively to the Nexus Prime. The only trick is that ICS is supposed to eliminate hardware dedicated buttons at the bottom of the screen altogether. In the interim, Samsung could be adapting the Prime to have a ROM-based "always on" button set at the bottom of the screen to interface with Gingerbread as a stop-gap measure to be ICS-ready.

So that's just my speculation. If it brings a smile to a face or two, or instills some hope, my job here is done. ;)

Reactions: BlueBiker
Upvote 0
Kyler I've absolutely no doubt we will see a great piece of hardware from Samsung. Whether it be the Prime or not, something substantial will drop. I also think we are looking at a handset with over a GIG of RAM.

Yes, CK, I agree that we will eventually see an amazing phone from Samsung, and also another one from Motorola at some point after the Bionic, and then again, probably, from HTC. LG, probably not.

But the question is when??????

I doubt that Verizon, who poured millions of dollars in R&D, and will pour millions of dollars in high tech dancing fighter lady marketing, into the Bionic will suddenly release the best phone ever made a mere month later. I just don't see it happening.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones